Re: AC

  • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
      --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
      over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
      hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
      Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
      whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
      represents.
      Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
      bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
      amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
      like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
      graph.
      Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
      (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
      and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
      THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
      see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
      variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
      less dense thus it rises)
      Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

      In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
      > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
      > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
      found
      > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
      > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
      > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
      > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
      > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
      > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
      > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
      > function?
      > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
      that
      > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
      >
      > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
      >
      > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
    • Kathy Dozier
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
        Cindy,
        Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
        understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
        out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
        control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
        control here and I don't test well.
        Thanks for the information on graphing also.

        Again good luck and prayers go with you.

        Kathy
      • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
          --- Kathy,
          Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
          she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
          you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
          reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
          Good Luck, Cindy

          In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
          > Cindy,
          > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
          you. I
          > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
          stressed
          > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
          of
          > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
          any
          > control here and I don't test well.
          > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
          >
          > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
          >
          > Kathy
        • Pamela Barnett
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
            I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
            relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
            still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
            yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
            in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
            completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
            knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
            the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
            physical science and look at the various diagrams,
            charts that are normally included in the texts. I
            would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
            grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
            issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
            your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
            be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
            you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
            middle schoolers you will be able to address the
            prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
            that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
            caught up in details with one part of a section that
            you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
            frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
            lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
            the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
            and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
            still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
            control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
            am confident that I will do fine the next time because
            I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
            abilities and using my past experiences in the
            classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
            material/sample to read and look at in each section so
            you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
            make notes make them easy to find and read.
            I now understand what candidates mean when they say
            you can't really study for the AC.
            I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
            not needed to teach summer school and could have had
            this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
            away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
            burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
            could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
            breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
            every test the examples/samples/topics given are
            varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
            what you could or will experience.
            As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
            experience today and need rest.
            There is life after NBPTS.
            Pam

            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Jill W Saia
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
              Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
              the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
              because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
              the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
              that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
              did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
              though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
              Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
              now!
              Jill W. Saia
              EA Science '99
            • Kathy Dozier
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                Pam,
                Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
              • mary edmunds
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                  Pamela,
                  what a lovely letter and so appreciated.
                  maryk

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                    ---
                    Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                    was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                    interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                    used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                    take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                    lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                    snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                    only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                    most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                    much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy