AC prep -- graphing

  • codypren@ousd.k12.ca.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      Never fear. You will do fine, so long as you keep your wits about
      you.

      What are the AAAS Benchmarks?

      Project 2061 has a set of science content benchmarks that are
      generally aligned with the AAAS National Science Ed. Standards.
      You can read them online here:
      http://www.project2061.org/tools/benchol/bolframe.htm.

      Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

      You might look in the 6th and 7th grade math books. You should
      know that, in general, to show change over time, you want a line
      plot, with time on the horizontal (X) axis.) A bar graph is used to
      compare quantities. The key thing with the graphs is that you
      know what a complete graph looks like, so you can spot errors in
      the ones they may show you. For example, are both the axes
      clearly labelled, with units and what the units are showing (eg,
      "volume of liquid, in ml"). Does the graph have a title? Is there a
      key? Can you tell which line or bar is which? Are the axes
      marked off in regular increments (2, 4, 6, 8) or has the student
      simply put his data points onto the axis? If it is a line graph are
      the points connected?
    • Kathy Dozier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
        Thank you for the support. I was beginning to feel lost out here and all
        alone.
        I go to the AC on Tuesday of next week.