Re: AC

  • kdozier@charter.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
      What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
      center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
      the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
      unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
      question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
      concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
      Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
      into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
      constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
      function?
      When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
      goes along with the earth topic you choose?

      Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

      I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
    • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
        --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
        over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
        hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
        Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
        whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
        represents.
        Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
        bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
        amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
        like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
        graph.
        Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
        (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
        and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
        THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
        see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
        variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
        less dense thus it rises)
        Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

        In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
        > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
        > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
        found
        > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
        > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
        > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
        > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
        > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
        > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
        > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
        > function?
        > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
        that
        > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
        >
        > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
        >
        > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
      • Kathy Dozier
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
          Cindy,
          Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
          understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
          out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
          control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
          control here and I don't test well.
          Thanks for the information on graphing also.

          Again good luck and prayers go with you.

          Kathy
        • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
            --- Kathy,
            Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
            she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
            you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
            reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
            Good Luck, Cindy

            In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
            > Cindy,
            > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
            you. I
            > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
            stressed
            > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
            of
            > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
            any
            > control here and I don't test well.
            > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
            >
            > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
            >
            > Kathy
          • Pamela Barnett
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
              I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
              relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
              still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
              yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
              in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
              completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
              knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
              the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
              physical science and look at the various diagrams,
              charts that are normally included in the texts. I
              would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
              grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
              issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
              your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
              be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
              you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
              middle schoolers you will be able to address the
              prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
              that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
              caught up in details with one part of a section that
              you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
              frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
              lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
              the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
              and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
              still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
              control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
              am confident that I will do fine the next time because
              I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
              abilities and using my past experiences in the
              classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
              material/sample to read and look at in each section so
              you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
              make notes make them easy to find and read.
              I now understand what candidates mean when they say
              you can't really study for the AC.
              I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
              not needed to teach summer school and could have had
              this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
              away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
              burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
              could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
              breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
              every test the examples/samples/topics given are
              varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
              what you could or will experience.
              As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
              experience today and need rest.
              There is life after NBPTS.
              Pam

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Jill W Saia
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                now!
                Jill W. Saia
                EA Science '99
              • Kathy Dozier
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                  Pam,
                  Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                  even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                  you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                  center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                • mary edmunds
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                    Pamela,
                    what a lovely letter and so appreciated.
                    maryk

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                      ---
                      Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                      was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                      interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                      used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                      take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                      lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                      snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                      only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                      most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                      much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy