Re: [EASCI] AC

  • Jill W Saia
    Message 1 of 16 , May 26, 2001
      The best thing I did to prepare for this question was to study AAAS
      Benchmarks of Scientific Literacy. Their organization of unifying themes
      and concepts really helped me; when I saw the question at the AC, I was
      able to pull from my notes, state the unifying theme, and design lessons
      from there. If you haven't already spent time with this book, do it! And
      let me know if I can help...

      Jill W. Saia
      EA Science '99
    • kdozier@charter.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
        What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
        center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
        the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
        unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
        question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
        concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
        Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
        into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
        constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
        function?
        When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
        goes along with the earth topic you choose?

        Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

        I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
      • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
          --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
          over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
          hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
          Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
          whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
          represents.
          Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
          bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
          amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
          like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
          graph.
          Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
          (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
          and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
          THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
          see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
          variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
          less dense thus it rises)
          Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

          In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
          > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
          > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
          found
          > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
          > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
          > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
          > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
          > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
          > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
          > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
          > function?
          > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
          that
          > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
          >
          > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
          >
          > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
        • Kathy Dozier
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
            Cindy,
            Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
            understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
            out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
            control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
            control here and I don't test well.
            Thanks for the information on graphing also.

            Again good luck and prayers go with you.

            Kathy
          • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
              --- Kathy,
              Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
              she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
              you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
              reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
              Good Luck, Cindy

              In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
              > Cindy,
              > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
              you. I
              > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
              stressed
              > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
              of
              > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
              any
              > control here and I don't test well.
              > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
              >
              > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
              >
              > Kathy
            • Pamela Barnett
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
                relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
                still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
                yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
                in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
                completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
                knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
                the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
                physical science and look at the various diagrams,
                charts that are normally included in the texts. I
                would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
                grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
                issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
                your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
                be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
                you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
                middle schoolers you will be able to address the
                prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
                that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
                caught up in details with one part of a section that
                you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
                frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
                lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
                the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
                and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
                still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
                control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
                am confident that I will do fine the next time because
                I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
                abilities and using my past experiences in the
                classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
                material/sample to read and look at in each section so
                you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
                make notes make them easy to find and read.
                I now understand what candidates mean when they say
                you can't really study for the AC.
                I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
                not needed to teach summer school and could have had
                this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
                away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
                burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
                could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
                breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
                every test the examples/samples/topics given are
                varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
                what you could or will experience.
                As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
                experience today and need rest.
                There is life after NBPTS.
                Pam

                a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Jill W Saia
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                  Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                  the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                  because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                  the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                  that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                  did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                  though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                  Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                  now!
                  Jill W. Saia
                  EA Science '99
                • Kathy Dozier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                    Pam,
                    Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                    even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                    you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                    center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                  • mary edmunds
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                      Pamela,
                      what a lovely letter and so appreciated.
                      maryk

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                        ---
                        Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                        was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                        interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                        used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                        take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                        lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                        snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                        only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                        most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                        much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy