Re: [EASCI] AC

  • mary edmunds
    Message 1 of 16 , May 26, 2001
      I sure don't Pamela, sorry,maryk
      --- Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know how much detail you should go into
      > answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what
      > is
      > the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
      > grade student to know in order to understand the
      > topic
      > and how it relates to the unifying concept?
      > Pam

      > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
      > prices
      > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Jill W Saia
      Message 2 of 16 , May 26, 2001
        The best thing I did to prepare for this question was to study AAAS
        Benchmarks of Scientific Literacy. Their organization of unifying themes
        and concepts really helped me; when I saw the question at the AC, I was
        able to pull from my notes, state the unifying theme, and design lessons
        from there. If you haven't already spent time with this book, do it! And
        let me know if I can help...

        Jill W. Saia
        EA Science '99
      • kdozier@charter.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
          What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
          center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
          the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
          unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
          question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
          concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
          Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
          into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
          constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
          function?
          When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
          goes along with the earth topic you choose?

          Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

          I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
        • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
            --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
            over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
            hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
            Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
            whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
            represents.
            Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
            bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
            amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
            like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
            graph.
            Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
            (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
            and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
            THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
            see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
            variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
            less dense thus it rises)
            Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

            In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
            > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
            > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
            found
            > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
            > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
            > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
            > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
            > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
            > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
            > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
            > function?
            > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
            that
            > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
            >
            > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
            >
            > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
          • Kathy Dozier
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
              Cindy,
              Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
              understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
              out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
              control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
              control here and I don't test well.
              Thanks for the information on graphing also.

              Again good luck and prayers go with you.

              Kathy
            • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                --- Kathy,
                Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
                she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
                you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
                reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
                Good Luck, Cindy

                In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
                > Cindy,
                > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
                you. I
                > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
                stressed
                > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
                of
                > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
                any
                > control here and I don't test well.
                > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
                >
                > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
                >
                > Kathy
              • Pamela Barnett
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                  I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
                  relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
                  still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
                  yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
                  in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
                  completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
                  knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
                  the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
                  physical science and look at the various diagrams,
                  charts that are normally included in the texts. I
                  would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
                  grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
                  issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
                  your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
                  be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
                  you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
                  middle schoolers you will be able to address the
                  prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
                  that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
                  caught up in details with one part of a section that
                  you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
                  frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
                  lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
                  the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
                  and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
                  still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
                  control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
                  am confident that I will do fine the next time because
                  I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
                  abilities and using my past experiences in the
                  classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
                  material/sample to read and look at in each section so
                  you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
                  make notes make them easy to find and read.
                  I now understand what candidates mean when they say
                  you can't really study for the AC.
                  I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
                  not needed to teach summer school and could have had
                  this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
                  away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
                  burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
                  could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
                  breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
                  every test the examples/samples/topics given are
                  varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
                  what you could or will experience.
                  As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
                  experience today and need rest.
                  There is life after NBPTS.
                  Pam

                  a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Jill W Saia
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                    Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                    the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                    because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                    the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                    that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                    did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                    though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                    Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                    now!
                    Jill W. Saia
                    EA Science '99
                  • Kathy Dozier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                      Pam,
                      Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                      even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                      you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                      center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                    • mary edmunds
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                        Pamela,
                        what a lovely letter and so appreciated.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                          ---
                          Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                          was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                          interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                          used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                          take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                          lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                          snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                          only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                          most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                          much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy