AC

  • Pamela Barnett
    Message 1 of 16 , May 26, 2001
      Does anyone know how much detail you should go into to
      answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what is
      the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
      grade student to know in order to understand the topic
      and how it relates to the unifying concept?
      Pam

      Message 2 of 16 , May 26, 2001
        I sure don't Pamela, sorry,maryk
        --- Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know how much detail you should go into
        > answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what
        > is
        > the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
        > grade student to know in order to understand the
        > topic
        > and how it relates to the unifying concept?
        > Pam

        > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
        > prices
        > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Jill W Saia
        Message 3 of 16 , May 26, 2001
          The best thing I did to prepare for this question was to study AAAS
          Benchmarks of Scientific Literacy. Their organization of unifying themes
          and concepts really helped me; when I saw the question at the AC, I was
          able to pull from my notes, state the unifying theme, and design lessons
          from there. If you haven't already spent time with this book, do it! And
          let me know if I can help...

          Jill W. Saia
          EA Science '99
        • kdozier@charter.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
            What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
            center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
            the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
            unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
            question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
            concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
            Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
            into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
            constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
            function?
            When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
            goes along with the earth topic you choose?

            Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

            I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
          • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
              --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
              over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
              hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
              Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
              whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
              represents.
              Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
              bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
              amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
              like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
              graph.
              Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
              (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
              and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
              THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
              see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
              variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
              less dense thus it rises)
              Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

              In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
              > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
              > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
              found
              > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
              > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
              > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
              > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
              > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
              > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
              > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
              > function?
              > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
              that
              > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
              >
              > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
              >
              > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
            • Kathy Dozier
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
                Cindy,
                Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
                understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
                out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
                control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
                control here and I don't test well.
                Thanks for the information on graphing also.

                Again good luck and prayers go with you.

                Kathy
              • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                  --- Kathy,
                  Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
                  she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
                  you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
                  reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
                  Good Luck, Cindy

                  In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
                  > Cindy,
                  > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
                  you. I
                  > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
                  stressed
                  > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
                  of
                  > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
                  any
                  > control here and I don't test well.
                  > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
                  >
                  > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
                  >
                  > Kathy
                • Pamela Barnett
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                    I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
                    relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
                    still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
                    yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
                    in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
                    completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
                    knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
                    the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
                    physical science and look at the various diagrams,
                    charts that are normally included in the texts. I
                    would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
                    grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
                    issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
                    your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
                    be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
                    you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
                    middle schoolers you will be able to address the
                    prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
                    that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
                    caught up in details with one part of a section that
                    you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
                    frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
                    lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
                    the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
                    and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
                    still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
                    control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
                    am confident that I will do fine the next time because
                    I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
                    abilities and using my past experiences in the
                    classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
                    material/sample to read and look at in each section so
                    you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
                    make notes make them easy to find and read.
                    I now understand what candidates mean when they say
                    you can't really study for the AC.
                    I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
                    not needed to teach summer school and could have had
                    this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
                    away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
                    burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
                    could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
                    breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
                    every test the examples/samples/topics given are
                    varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
                    what you could or will experience.
                    As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
                    experience today and need rest.
                    There is life after NBPTS.
                    Pam

                    a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Jill W Saia
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                      Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                      the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                      because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                      the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                      that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                      did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                      though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                      Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                      now!
                      Jill W. Saia
                      EA Science '99
                    • Kathy Dozier
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                        Pam,
                        Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                        even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                        you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                        center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                      • mary edmunds
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                          Pamela,
                          what a lovely letter and so appreciated.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                            ---
                            Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                            was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                            interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                            used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                            take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                            lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                            snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                            only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                            most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                            much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy