Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 130

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2001
      I'd recommend reading in several areas:

      1. Common science misconceptions that kids have about how objects behave, living things, etc.
      2. How to help kids overcome misconceptions and form correct conceptions

      3. Data analysis: rules for graphing, appropriate types of graphs for various kinds of data, common errors kids make when constructing and interpreting graphs

      4. Scientific method - use of controls, etc. Common errors kids make when designing experiments and interpreting their results

      5. Science content in areas you don't teach (for example, I teache chemistry and physics, so I had to read up on Earth Science and Life Science). Borrow teacher's editions for correlations to the major themes of science.

      6. Important topics in Science-Technology-Society. Lots of text books have short sections about these issues... borrow books from other teachers. There are also entire publications on these topics. Also- how could you teach kids how to evaluate such issues?

      These ideas were very helpful to me. I scored well at the AC.

      Good luck,
      Mary Jo in MO