AC

  • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9, 2001
      Now that the package is mailed off (Hooray!!), does anyone know of
      certain books we should be reading? Cindy
    • Pamela Barnett
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 13, 2001
        Is there anyone out there? I haven't heard from
        anyone about being 'free' of 'the box'. All I know is
        that it feels great--I still have the reflective frame
        of mind though. Is anyone planning to do special
        preparation for the AC? I have a fear of drawing a
        complete blank when I get there and read the first
        prompt. I would really like to hear something from
        somebody about this experience.
        Pam

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Pamela Barnett
        Message 3 of 16 , May 26, 2001
          Does anyone know how much detail you should go into to
          answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what is
          the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
          grade student to know in order to understand the topic
          and how it relates to the unifying concept?
          Pam

          Message 4 of 16 , May 26, 2001
            I sure don't Pamela, sorry,maryk
            --- Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know how much detail you should go into
            > answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what
            > is
            > the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
            > grade student to know in order to understand the
            > topic
            > and how it relates to the unifying concept?
            > Pam

            > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
            > prices
            > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Jill W Saia
            Message 5 of 16 , May 26, 2001
              The best thing I did to prepare for this question was to study AAAS
              Benchmarks of Scientific Literacy. Their organization of unifying themes
              and concepts really helped me; when I saw the question at the AC, I was
              able to pull from my notes, state the unifying theme, and design lessons
              from there. If you haven't already spent time with this book, do it! And
              let me know if I can help...

              Jill W. Saia
              EA Science '99
            • kdozier@charter.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
                What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
                center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
                the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
                unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
                question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
                concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
                Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
                into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
                constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
                function?
                When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
                goes along with the earth topic you choose?

                Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

                I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
              • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
                  --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
                  over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
                  hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
                  Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
                  whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
                  represents.
                  Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
                  bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
                  amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
                  like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
                  graph.
                  Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
                  (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
                  and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
                  THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
                  see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
                  variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
                  less dense thus it rises)
                  Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

                  In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
                  > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
                  > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
                  found
                  > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
                  > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
                  > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
                  > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
                  > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
                  > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
                  > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
                  > function?
                  > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
                  that
                  > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
                  >
                  > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
                  >
                  > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
                • Kathy Dozier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
                    Cindy,
                    Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
                    understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
                    out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
                    control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
                    control here and I don't test well.
                    Thanks for the information on graphing also.

                    Again good luck and prayers go with you.

                    Kathy
                  • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                      --- Kathy,
                      Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
                      she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
                      you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
                      reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
                      Good Luck, Cindy

                      In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
                      > Cindy,
                      > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
                      you. I
                      > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
                      stressed
                      > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
                      of
                      > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
                      any
                      > control here and I don't test well.
                      > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
                      >
                      > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
                      >
                      > Kathy
                    • Pamela Barnett
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                        I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
                        relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
                        still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
                        yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
                        in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
                        completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
                        knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
                        the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
                        physical science and look at the various diagrams,
                        charts that are normally included in the texts. I
                        would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
                        grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
                        issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
                        your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
                        be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
                        you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
                        middle schoolers you will be able to address the
                        prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
                        that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
                        caught up in details with one part of a section that
                        you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
                        frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
                        lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
                        the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
                        and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
                        still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
                        control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
                        am confident that I will do fine the next time because
                        I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
                        abilities and using my past experiences in the
                        classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
                        material/sample to read and look at in each section so
                        you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
                        make notes make them easy to find and read.
                        I now understand what candidates mean when they say
                        you can't really study for the AC.
                        I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
                        not needed to teach summer school and could have had
                        this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
                        away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
                        burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
                        could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
                        breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
                        every test the examples/samples/topics given are
                        varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
                        what you could or will experience.
                        As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
                        experience today and need rest.
                        There is life after NBPTS.
                        Pam

                        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Jill W Saia
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                          Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                          the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                          because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                          the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                          that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                          did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                          though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                          Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                          now!
                          Jill W. Saia
                          EA Science '99
                        • Kathy Dozier
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                            Pam,
                            Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                            even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                            you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                            center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                          • mary edmunds
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                              Pamela,
                              what a lovely letter and so appreciated.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                                ---
                                Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                                was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                                interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                                used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                                take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                                lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                                snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                                only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                                most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                                much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy