entry 5 video

  • pinkalls@midusa.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2001
      I picked a video to use for this entry but now I am having second
      thoughts. I know it is difficult to judge without seeing it but here
      is what it is. I am introducing newton's 1st law. I have the kids
      predict what will happen if we roll a marble across the table. Answer:
      it goes straight. I then have them do it. I ask why it went
      straight. Answer: nothing stopped it, nothing got in it's way. Next
      I ask what will happen if we roll it at an angle against a book. They
      talk to each other but it cannot be heard on tape. They then raise
      their hands and answer: It will bounce off. I then have them do it
      on the tape. I then ask them why it bounced and they again talk to
      each other and then answer the book got in the way etc. I then say
      "in other words the book forces it to change directions. They agree.
      We continue the same way using a plate to roll the marble on and the
      plate edge forces it to go in a circle. Finally we roll a marble on a
      plate with 1/4 of it removed. They predict the ball will continue to
      roll in a circle when it hits this section. They find out it goes
      straight because nothing forces it to change dirrection.
      My problem is that the kids talk to each other each time I ask a
      question but you cannot hear that part of the conversation. When they
      raised their hands to say what they think, you can hear it.
      Question 1: Is this the type of tape they are looking for? I think it
      was a great lesson. The kids learned things go in a straight line
      unless a force acts on it.
      Question 2: Is it a problem you can't hear the kids talking to each
      other, just their response to me?
      Any info. would be deeply appreciated.
      Thanks
      Gary
    • Donna M. Petty
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2001
        Gary, There is no tape for entry 5 - do you mean Entry 4? If so, my tape showed me asking them questions about their data and conclusion ('made them put their graph on big paper so it could be seen by all) and how it related to other groups' findings. The lab was on soil porosity. #4 definitely wants a scientific investigation - use scientific method anywhere! I'm banking & re-doing 1 & 3. I did fine on 2 & 4, the last ones I did. You get better as you go! Blessings!