Entry 3

  • claudiabalach@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 11, 2001
      Hi-
      I am new to this group; I discovered it Friday afternoon (after
      school of course : ) ); I read through past posts and found many
      valuable ideas.

      I have many questions, but as I am currently working on Entry 3 I'll
      focus on those now. My tape is 20 minutes of a class discussion
      probing for prior knowledge and misconceptions about matter. My
      goals are for the kids to figure out that matter is anything that has
      mass and takes up space and for them to realize that if something
      isn't matter it must be energy. However, I do not do anything
      fancy. My tape is pure discussion. Several people shared that they
      do demos or have kids do demos or do hand-on activities. When I read
      the instructions they say that the discussion must dominate, so I
      stuck with discussion only. Am I following an errant path by just
      have discussion? i.e. should I re-record with hands-on added?
      Thanks-
      Claudia Balach
    • Stacy Cordes
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
        Hello,
        I will taping for Entry 3 in my Earth Science class tomorrow.  I would ask that everyone keeps me in their prayers.  I am pretty nervous about it!   Since I am banking this year I feel like nothing will ever be good enough.
        I would appreciate some feedback on what I am taping:  Students are testing how color affects the absoprtion of solar energy.  The teams are doing different things.  Two are doing different colors of soil, two are doing different colors of glass, and two are doing water with different colors of paper on the bottom (ex: a swim pool with a blue bottom compared to one with a black bottom).  Is this good?  Does it sound too easy for 8th graders?  Does it fit the national standards very well? Any comments and questions would be GREATLY appreciated!
        Thanks,
        Stacy

      • arholder2003
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 17, 2004
          I said something on the video that is factually incorrect. I didn't
          realize I had said it until I watched the video. Fortunately this
          is at the end and I can just cut it off or I can really point that
          out and play it up in the reflection that the next day I corrected
          the error. I need some opinions. My dear husband is sick of me
          asking him.

          Annette
        • Kathy Dozier
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 17, 2004
            Either way is fine. You can just talk about it in your write up or cut
            it off if you have the time.

            At 12:06 PM 3/17/04, you wrote:
            >I said something on the video that is factually incorrect. I didn't
            >realize I had said it until I watched the video. Fortunately this
            >is at the end and I can just cut it off or I can really point that
            >out and play it up in the reflection that the next day I corrected
            >the error. I need some opinions. My dear husband is sick of me
            >asking him.
            >
            >Annette
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Kathy Dozier
            Camden Middle School
          • arholder2003
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 25, 2004
              The investigation that I videotaped and am writing about shows the
              data collection and discussions with small groups. Is this what
              they are asking for?

              Annette
            • Kallie A. Hilyard
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
                yes but i think you need to stress what the data tells them
              • Kallie A. Hilyard
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
                  I am taking my assessment center in a few weeks and was wondering if
                  anyone had any advice. Thanks
                • Stacy Cordes
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 28, 2004
                    Read student/teacher texts from varying age levels. Especially study topics you do not teach often or are uncomfortable teaching. Read, read, read. Practice responses for any topic you feel uneasy about.  Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
                    Stacy

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 29, 2004
                      Thanks!!!!!
                    • sedwards1162
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 27, 2004
                        I took my assessment today. I agree with some of the other advice
                        posted here. The Pathways book for middle school science which can
                        be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help. Especially when it
                        explains unifying concepts and social and technological issues and
                        the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for students of
                        this age.

                        Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the tutorial before
                        you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the entry so you
                        don't want to lose time.

                        The instruction window reviews for you what is required and scoring
                        criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the exercise want from you
                        before you go, so you don't waste time trying to read that material.

                        The main stress I experienced was trying to be detailed enough
                        within the time limits. I felt good about what I said, but who
                        knows if it was detailed and on target enough to score well with the
                        evaluators.

                        Good luck to everyone!
                      • Dottie Hayes
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 28, 2004
                          Thanks for the information.
                          I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing the national standards along with reading the texts used at my school.
                          I hope everyone does well.
                          Dottie

                          sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
[...]

                        • Carmen Dyse
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
                            --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                            > Thanks for the information.
                            > I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing
                            > the national standards along with reading the texts
                            > used at my school.
                            > I hope everyone does well.
                            > Dottie
                            >
                            > sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
                            > I took my assessment today. I agree with some of
                            > the other advice
                            > posted here. The Pathways book for middle school
                            > science which can
                            > be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help.
                            > Especially when it
                            where can you find the Pathway book?
                            where can you find the Pathway book?
                            > explains unifying concepts and social and
                            > technological issues and
                            > the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for
                            > students of
                            > this age.
                            >
                            > Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the
                            > tutorial before
                            > you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the
                            > entry so you
                            > don't want to lose time.
                            >
                            > The instruction window reviews for you what is
                            > required and scoring
                            > criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the
                            > exercise want from you
                            > before you go, so you don't waste time trying to
                            > read that material.
                            >
                            > The main stress I experienced was trying to be
                            > detailed enough
                            > within the time limits. I felt good about what I
                            > said, but who
                            > knows if it was detailed and on target enough to
                            > score well with the
                            > evaluators.
                            >
                            > Good luck to everyone!
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                          • Carmen Dyse

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                                I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

                                Cinnamon in NC
                              • Jennifer Lynch
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                                  I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
                                  First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
                                  just telling about their data. Today I had them get
                                  up in front of the class and explain their position,
                                  each person telling why they took the position. I
                                  encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
                                  about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
                                  quality of their responses was good.
                                  --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

                                  > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
                                  > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
                                  > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
                                  > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
                                  > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
                                  > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
                                  > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
                                  >
                                  > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
                                  message.
                                  > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                                  > Date: 2/7/2005

                                  http://my.yahoo.com
                                • Kristi
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
                                    Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
                                    small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
                                    scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
                                    questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
                                    great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
                                    obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
                                    the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
                                    group about their data. What do you think?
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                                      Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
                                      teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
                                      discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
                                      is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
                                      you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
                                      need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
                                      students should be learning and experiencing.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                                        Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
                                        quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
                                        help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
                                        hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
                                        based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
                                        That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
                                        don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
                                        become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
                                        entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
                                        question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
                                        through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
                                        question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
                                        and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
                                        I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
                                        specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
                                        and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
                                        know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
                                        right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

                                        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                                            It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                                            it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                                            that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                                            leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                                            want to re-think the entry