Re: [EASCI] AC

  • Marie Keyes
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2001
      Hi, Pam
      I am a Banker this year and I took the AC last year in July. I will
      tell you what I know about my experience. I looked over the guide they sent
      me and wondered about all the talk about preparation materials. There are
      not any for EA\Science! When I arrived at the assessment center there were
      people with folders marked Assessment 1, 2, and so on. They were in a
      different area and apparently knew exactly what to write about. I took the
      standards and the assessment center guide. There were 4 test. I did pass
      the assessment center test. The questions were more of how you would handle
      each given situation. I did not think the content was too difficult, except
      the chemistry. I just knew I blew it.....scored the highest on that part!
      Hope this eases your mind some. Good Luck!!!!!
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2001
        Now that the package is mailed off (Hooray!!), does anyone know of
        certain books we should be reading? Cindy
      • Pamela Barnett
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 13, 2001
          Is there anyone out there? I haven't heard from
          anyone about being 'free' of 'the box'. All I know is
          that it feels great--I still have the reflective frame
          of mind though. Is anyone planning to do special
          preparation for the AC? I have a fear of drawing a
          complete blank when I get there and read the first
          prompt. I would really like to hear something from
          somebody about this experience.
          Pam

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Pamela Barnett
          Message 4 of 16 , May 26, 2001
            Does anyone know how much detail you should go into to
            answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what is
            the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
            grade student to know in order to understand the topic
            and how it relates to the unifying concept?
            Pam

            Message 5 of 16 , May 26, 2001
              I sure don't Pamela, sorry,maryk
              --- Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...> wrote:
              > Does anyone know how much detail you should go into
              > answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what
              > is
              > the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
              > grade student to know in order to understand the
              > topic
              > and how it relates to the unifying concept?
              > Pam

              > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
              > prices
              > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Jill W Saia
              Message 6 of 16 , May 26, 2001
                The best thing I did to prepare for this question was to study AAAS
                Benchmarks of Scientific Literacy. Their organization of unifying themes
                and concepts really helped me; when I saw the question at the AC, I was
                able to pull from my notes, state the unifying theme, and design lessons
                from there. If you haven't already spent time with this book, do it! And
                let me know if I can help...

                Jill W. Saia
                EA Science '99
              • kdozier@charter.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
                  What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
                  center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
                  the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
                  unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
                  question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
                  concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
                  Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
                  into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
                  constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
                  function?
                  When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
                  goes along with the earth topic you choose?

                  Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

                  I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
                • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
                    --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
                    over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
                    hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
                    Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
                    whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
                    represents.
                    Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
                    bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
                    amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
                    like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
                    graph.
                    Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
                    (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
                    and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
                    THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
                    see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
                    variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
                    less dense thus it rises)
                    Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

                    In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
                    > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
                    > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
                    found
                    > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
                    > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
                    > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
                    > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
                    > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
                    > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
                    > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
                    > function?
                    > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
                    that
                    > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
                    >
                    > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
                    >
                    > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
                  • Kathy Dozier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
                      Cindy,
                      Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
                      understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
                      out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
                      control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
                      control here and I don't test well.
                      Thanks for the information on graphing also.

                      Again good luck and prayers go with you.

                      Kathy
                    • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                        --- Kathy,
                        Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
                        she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
                        you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
                        reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
                        Good Luck, Cindy

                        In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
                        > Cindy,
                        > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
                        you. I
                        > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
                        stressed
                        > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
                        of
                        > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
                        any
                        > control here and I don't test well.
                        > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
                        >
                        > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
                        >
                        > Kathy
                      • Pamela Barnett
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                          I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
                          relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
                          still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
                          yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
                          in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
                          completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
                          knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
                          the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
                          physical science and look at the various diagrams,
                          charts that are normally included in the texts. I
                          would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
                          grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
                          issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
                          your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
                          be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
                          you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
                          middle schoolers you will be able to address the
                          prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
                          that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
                          caught up in details with one part of a section that
                          you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
                          frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
                          lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
                          the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
                          and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
                          still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
                          control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
                          am confident that I will do fine the next time because
                          I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
                          abilities and using my past experiences in the
                          classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
                          material/sample to read and look at in each section so
                          you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
                          make notes make them easy to find and read.
                          I now understand what candidates mean when they say
                          you can't really study for the AC.
                          I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
                          not needed to teach summer school and could have had
                          this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
                          away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
                          burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
                          could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
                          breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
                          every test the examples/samples/topics given are
                          varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
                          what you could or will experience.
                          As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
                          experience today and need rest.
                          There is life after NBPTS.
                          Pam

                          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Jill W Saia
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                            Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                            the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                            because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                            the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                            that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                            did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                            though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                            Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                            now!
                            Jill W. Saia
                            EA Science '99
                          • Kathy Dozier
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                              Pam,
                              Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                              even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                              you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                              center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                            • mary edmunds
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                                Pamela,
                                what a lovely letter and so appreciated.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                                  ---
                                  Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                                  was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                                  interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                                  used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                                  take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                                  lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                                  snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                                  only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                                  most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                                  much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy