AC

  • pgdb77@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2001
      Is there anyone who could offer some advice about preparing for the
      assessment center? I have received my packet and scheduled my
      appointment at the center--so what do I do next. How difficult is
      this going to be? How do I begin to prepare!
      Help, Pam
    • Marie Keyes
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2001
        Hi, Pam
        I am a Banker this year and I took the AC last year in July. I will
        tell you what I know about my experience. I looked over the guide they sent
        me and wondered about all the talk about preparation materials. There are
        not any for EA\Science! When I arrived at the assessment center there were
        people with folders marked Assessment 1, 2, and so on. They were in a
        different area and apparently knew exactly what to write about. I took the
        standards and the assessment center guide. There were 4 test. I did pass
        the assessment center test. The questions were more of how you would handle
        each given situation. I did not think the content was too difficult, except
        the chemistry. I just knew I blew it.....scored the highest on that part!
        Hope this eases your mind some. Good Luck!!!!!

      • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 9 6:03 PM
          Now that the package is mailed off (Hooray!!), does anyone know of
          certain books we should be reading? Cindy
        • Pamela Barnett
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 13 7:55 AM
            Is there anyone out there? I haven't heard from
            anyone about being 'free' of 'the box'. All I know is
            that it feels great--I still have the reflective frame
            of mind though. Is anyone planning to do special
            preparation for the AC? I have a fear of drawing a
            complete blank when I get there and read the first
            prompt. I would really like to hear something from
            somebody about this experience.
            Pam

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Pamela Barnett
            Message 5 of 16 , May 26, 2001
              Does anyone know how much detail you should go into to
              answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what is
              the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
              grade student to know in order to understand the topic
              and how it relates to the unifying concept?
              Pam

              Message 6 of 16 , May 26, 2001
                I sure don't Pamela, sorry,maryk
                --- Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...> wrote:
                > Does anyone know how much detail you should go into
                > answer the AC Unifying Concept question about what
                > is
                > the content knowledge that is necessary for an 8th
                > grade student to know in order to understand the
                > topic
                > and how it relates to the unifying concept?
                > Pam

                > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
                > prices
                > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Jill W Saia
                Message 7 of 16 , May 26, 2001
                  The best thing I did to prepare for this question was to study AAAS
                  Benchmarks of Scientific Literacy. Their organization of unifying themes
                  and concepts really helped me; when I saw the question at the AC, I was
                  able to pull from my notes, state the unifying theme, and design lessons
                  from there. If you haven't already spent time with this book, do it! And
                  let me know if I can help...

                  Jill W. Saia
                  EA Science '99
                • kdozier@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2001
                    What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
                    center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I found
                    the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
                    unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
                    question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
                    concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
                    Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
                    into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
                    constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
                    function?
                    When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic that
                    goes along with the earth topic you choose?

                    Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?

                    I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
                  • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2001
                      --- I'm taking the AC this Saturday. I can't wait for it to be
                      over. I feel as though I could just start crying at the drop of a
                      hat I'm so stressed out. About graphing ....
                      Pie Graphs: show how a part or share of something relat4es to the
                      whole. You can see what fraction, percentage, or share each part
                      represents.
                      Bar Graphs: Used to compare quantities of different things. Each
                      bar stands for an amount of something. You can compare measurements,
                      amounts, and changes. The bars represent exact amounts. Something
                      like temperature which can change would not be represented on a bar
                      graph.
                      Line Graphs: Are made from pairs of numbers. The manipulated
                      (independent) variable is represented on the bottom horizontal axis
                      and the responding (independent) variable is on the vertical axis.
                      THe numbers (variables) express a relationship. Line graphs help you
                      see patterns and trends in data and changes that occur in related
                      variables (example: air temperature and density of air... Warm air is
                      less dense thus it rises)
                      Good luck to everyone! Cindy in SC

                      In EASCI@y..., kdozier@c... wrote:
                      > What are the AAAS Benchmarks? Has anyone gone to the assessment
                      > center yet this year? I am very curious about how it went. I
                      found
                      > the unifying concepts in the Pathways from the NSTA. I must be
                      > unworthy of NB because I can't figure out how this works. Does the
                      > question (outline how each of the topics relae to a major unifying
                      > concept of scinece) mean you take a topic from Earth, Life and
                      > Physical, say from Earth plate tectonics, and explain how it fits
                      > into systems, order organization, evidence, models, explanation,
                      > constancy, change, measurement, evolution, equilibrium, form and
                      > function?
                      > When you choose from life and physical are you to choose a topic
                      that
                      > goes along with the earth topic you choose?
                      >
                      > Where can I find information on what type of graph to use when?
                      >
                      > I really feel nervous about taking this test. Help.
                    • Kathy Dozier
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
                        Cindy,
                        Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
                        understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
                        out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
                        control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
                        control here and I don't test well.
                        Thanks for the information on graphing also.

                        Again good luck and prayers go with you.

                        Kathy
                      • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                          --- Kathy,
                          Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
                          she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
                          you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
                          reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
                          Good Luck, Cindy

                          In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
                          > Cindy,
                          > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
                          you. I
                          > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
                          stressed
                          > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
                          of
                          > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
                          any
                          > control here and I don't test well.
                          > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
                          >
                          > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
                          >
                          > Kathy
                        • Pamela Barnett
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
                            I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
                            relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
                            still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
                            yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
                            in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
                            completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
                            knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
                            the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
                            physical science and look at the various diagrams,
                            charts that are normally included in the texts. I
                            would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
                            grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
                            issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
                            your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
                            be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
                            you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
                            middle schoolers you will be able to address the
                            prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
                            that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
                            caught up in details with one part of a section that
                            you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
                            frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
                            lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
                            the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
                            and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
                            still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
                            control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
                            am confident that I will do fine the next time because
                            I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
                            abilities and using my past experiences in the
                            classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
                            material/sample to read and look at in each section so
                            you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
                            make notes make them easy to find and read.
                            I now understand what candidates mean when they say
                            you can't really study for the AC.
                            I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
                            not needed to teach summer school and could have had
                            this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
                            away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
                            burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
                            could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
                            breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
                            every test the examples/samples/topics given are
                            varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
                            what you could or will experience.
                            As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
                            experience today and need rest.
                            There is life after NBPTS.
                            Pam

                            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Jill W Saia
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                              Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
                              the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
                              because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
                              the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
                              that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
                              did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
                              though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
                              Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
                              now!
                              Jill W. Saia
                              EA Science '99
                            • Kathy Dozier
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                                Pam,
                                Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
                                even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
                                you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
                                center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
                              • mary edmunds
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                                  Pamela,
                                  what a lovely letter and so appreciated.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                                    ---
                                    Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                                    was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                                    interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                                    used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                                    take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                                    lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                                    snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                                    only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                                    most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                                    much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy