entry 2

  • pinkalls@midusa.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18 1:17 PM
      Section III Analysis of student work asks "How did you assess the
      three pieces of work"? What kinds of things are they wanting? Do
      they want to know what I think is right or wrong? I feel I have
      asnwered this in the earlier questions. Any input would be
      appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Gary
    • neldaphillips <neldaphillips@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15, 2002
        Will any one read entry 2. I am having a hard time with the
        writing. I think I am off track however, I need to use the video.
        The students were investigating living and nonliving materials that
        had been gathered from a make believe crime scene. I wanted to know
        what the students knew about cells which was very little. The
        students did not ack me any questions I did all the probing and they
        took my word for it what does someone think????
        Help
      • Theresa
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 16, 2002
          What helped me in writing about my video entries was transferring them to quick-time format on the computer where I could watch the video as I typed in a split screen format.  I could back up to exactly the right point and take quotes from the video.  It also made it easier to describe what my students were wearing.  Ask your technician for help if you do not know how to do this.

          As far as the content goes, if you didn't get much of a dicussion going - I would try another topic.
          I used genetic engineering - which was a very hot topic for my students.  It was obvious they did not know a lot about the topic and what they thought they knew was riddled with misconceptions.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 17, 2002
            I will be glad to read your entry for you. I made certification this year.
            Just send it to me at my school address.
            kdozier@...

            At 01:59 AM 12/16/02 -0000, you wrote:
            >Will any one read entry 2. I am having a hard time with the
            >writing. I think I am off track however, I need to use the video.
            >The students were investigating living and nonliving materials that
            >had been gathered from a make believe crime scene. I wanted to know
            >what the students knew about cells which was very little. The
            >students did not ack me any questions I did all the probing and they
            >took my word for it what does someone think????
            >Help

          • bebadog
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 27, 2003
              In entry 2 should it be whole group or small group. My concern is
              with finding someone that is knowledgeable to do the video. I was
              planning a whole group after an investigation. I thought that would
              be easier to video than a small group.

              Thanks
            • Dottie Hayes
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 27, 2003
                from what i've read, i think it should be a combination or whole group for #2.
                Does anyone know if we can use the same class for more than one entry?

                bebadog <bebadog@...> wrote:
                In entry 2 should it be whole group or small group.  My concern is
                with finding someone that is knowledgeable to do the video.  I was
                planning a whole group after an investigation.  I thought that would
                be easier to video than a small group.

                Thanks

                Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

              • Karen Cahoon
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 27, 2003
                  I scored well on my entry 2 and it was a whole group. I did not have
                  anyone behind the camera. It was stationary and got the whole class (22
                  students). Remember that this entry is probing for understanding not a
                  discussion results from an investigation...that's entry 3 ( at least it
                  was last year)
                  Karen
                  NBCT EASCI '03

                  >>> bebadog@... 11/27/03 8:46 AM >>>
                • bebadog
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 27, 2003
                    I believe you have to use different classes for all entries. At least
                    that is what I get from the descriptions. Is entry 3 small group or
                    large. In the earlier post, I was talking about entry 3 not 2.
                    Thanks for bring it to my attention.
                  • Karen Cahoon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 28, 2003
                      I did the whole class but there were 4 to a lab table. However the
                      camera was still unnamed and stationary the whole time. We did our
                      discussions as we were doing the investigations and it scored in the
                      3's. I used different classes for both entry 2 and 3 but I really don't
                      think it is written anywhere that this is a requirement.
                      Karen
                      NBCT EASCI '03

                      >>> bebadog@... 11/27/03 9:23 PM >>>
                    • spacefrog72003
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 28, 2003
                        I checked all the directions again, and I did not find anywhere that
                        you could not use the same class in each entry. The only warning I
                        saw was that each entry features must be from a different big idea in
                        science.
                      • ladonnamangum
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                          Has anyone ever heard of graffiti or carousel brainstorming? If you
                          have do you think this would be a technique to use for entry 2 -
                          probing student understanding?
                          Also I really want to thank everyoen for the advice that I have been
                          given, this has really been a lifesaver!