Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 105

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2001
      In my instructions, page 3 of the Entry 2 section, for LAST YEAR, the directions say:

      "The three assessments should be related to the same unit of science study, but be drawn from different points in time during the featured instructional sequence."

      Using that information, I suggest that all of the assessments you mention might not be the best choices. Remember, you are trying to show GROWTH OVER TIME, and if all assessments are based on one activity, that's not possible.

      Standard objective tests may certainly constitute valid assessments for you. However, this style is NOT REQUIRED.

      Have you read the section in the National Science Education Standards that pertains to assessment? I'd recommend you do so, since the assessors are looking for evidence that you meet those standards. I got my copy at an NSTA meeting. They are probably available on the internet, or from your school district's science coordinator.
      Authentic, performance standards seem to be emphasized by the NSES.

      Mary Jo in MO
      NBCT 2000

      <<< <EASCI@yahoogroups.com> 2/12 5:11a >>>

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Entry #2
      From: Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:50:28 -0800 (PST)
      From: Pamela Barnett <pgdb77@...>
      Subject: Entry #2

      I have assigned my students to create a dichotomous
      key that they will use to classify chosen organisms.
      I plan to assess this assignment by 3 methods. I will
      assess the dichotomous key, the student performance
      using the key and their oral presentation of their
      key. Will these 3 modes of assessing just count as
      one student assessment?

      Also, I keep a checklist of behaviors, attitudes and
      processes that I want each student to develop during
      this unit and I keep a record that reflects when they
      accomplished or achieved them. I do this over the
      entire unit of study. Will this count as 1
      assessment?

      And, do I have to include a traditional multiple
      choice, true/false, short answer assessment in this
      entry? Or can I use performance based assessments
      only?
      Pam

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/