Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 101

  • Susan Lewis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001

      cbeaken@... wrote:

       Hi!
      I am glad to here that others are feeling a bit brain dead. Unfortunately, I
      am second guessing one of my video tapes. I was so excited to use a web quest
      on genetic engineering and cloning for this entry. I have used this the past
      two years and it has been extremely successful. I have tape of several
      classes. The video tape includes me interacting with small groups. I had
      hoped that they discussions would be driven by the information that the
      students collected and how they interpreted this information. Many of the
      groups had collected inadequate information so part of the video shows me
      helping them work through what they've got and how to go about getting the
      rest of the information they need. This may not make sense. I have been
      working for several hours. Anyway, I am at a lost because the next unit is
      the human body unit and I plan on using this for the assessment entry. This
      unit last through March! I don't know what to do. Should I ditch this video
      and try something else? Entry 4 and 2 are the only entries that I need to
      collect the data for. Does anyone have advice for me?
      Frustrated Colleen

      Is this for entry 3 or 4?  I am assuming since you are working with small groups it is for 4.  I think you can use this video, but it is hard to say without seeing it.  If you have some groups that actually got it then you can use the next group also that didn't.  I think you could talk about why they had difficulty in your analysis or even more so in your reflection.  I took am about brain dead and am wishing I had this all done and mailed.
      Good Luck,
      Susan
    • Jill W Saia
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
        The assessors at NB do not expect you to lead a "perfect" class discussion.
        What they're looking for is exactly what you've alluded to in your message;
        that you recognize the kids didn't understand it as well as they should,
        you know there are things you could have done to facilitate better, and how
        you will teach this next time. My video of the class discussion is
        certainly not my favorite; it was very painful to watch, because my
        students just weren't getting the concept. But in my write-up I was
        brutally honest about what went wrong, and I scored pretty high on this
        one. NB is looking for teachers who not only plan and teach good lessons,
        but also reflect on those lessons and constantly tweak them to make them
        better. Admitting that it didn't go as well as planned will not make you
        lose any points, and it may even help.
        Use the video you have - it sounds like a great lesson!
        Jill