Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 101

  • Pamela Barnett
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
      From what I have read and been told from other
      candidates, I think as long as you have planned well,
      it doesn't hurt if your students don't "produce" as
      you expected--as long as you deal with it in your
      analysis and reflection. I wouldn't push myself into
      a corner by re-doing the entry--it could turn out
      worse and you would be in a time crunch! Just my
      thoughts, Pam
      --- cbeaken@... wrote:
      > Hi!
      > I am glad to here that others are feeling a bit
      > brain dead. Unfortunately, I
      > am second guessing one of my video tapes. I was so
      > excited to use a web quest
      > on genetic engineering and cloning for this entry. I
      > have used this the past
      > two years and it has been extremely successful. I
      > have tape of several
      > classes. The video tape includes me interacting with
      > small groups. I had
      > hoped that they discussions would be driven by the
      > information that the
      > students collected and how they interpreted this
      > information. Many of the
      > groups had collected inadequate information so part
      > of the video shows me
      > helping them work through what they've got and how
      > to go about getting the
      > rest of the information they need. This may not make
      > sense. I have been
      > working for several hours. Anyway, I am at a lost
      > because the next unit is
      > the human body unit and I plan on using this for the
      > assessment entry. This
      > unit last through March! I don't know what to do.
      > Should I ditch this video
      > and try something else? Entry 4 and 2 are the only
      > entries that I need to
      > collect the data for. Does anyone have advice for
      > me?
      > Frustrated Colleen

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Susan Lewis
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001

        cbeaken@... wrote:

[...]

        Is this for entry 3 or 4?  I am assuming since you are working with small groups it is for 4.  I think you can use this video, but it is hard to say without seeing it.  If you have some groups that actually got it then you can use the next group also that didn't.  I think you could talk about why they had difficulty in your analysis or even more so in your reflection.  I took am about brain dead and am wishing I had this all done and mailed.
        Good Luck,
        Susan
      • Jill W Saia
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
          The assessors at NB do not expect you to lead a "perfect" class discussion.
          What they're looking for is exactly what you've alluded to in your message;
          that you recognize the kids didn't understand it as well as they should,
          you know there are things you could have done to facilitate better, and how
          you will teach this next time. My video of the class discussion is
          certainly not my favorite; it was very painful to watch, because my
          students just weren't getting the concept. But in my write-up I was
          brutally honest about what went wrong, and I scored pretty high on this
          one. NB is looking for teachers who not only plan and teach good lessons,
          but also reflect on those lessons and constantly tweak them to make them
          better. Admitting that it didn't go as well as planned will not make you
          lose any points, and it may even help.
          Use the video you have - it sounds like a great lesson!
          Jill