Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 101

  • cbeaken@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hi!
      I am glad to here that others are feeling a bit brain dead. Unfortunately, I
      am second guessing one of my video tapes. I was so excited to use a web quest
      on genetic engineering and cloning for this entry. I have used this the past
      two years and it has been extremely successful. I have tape of several
      classes. The video tape includes me interacting with small groups. I had
      hoped that they discussions would be driven by the information that the
      students collected and how they interpreted this information. Many of the
      groups had collected inadequate information so part of the video shows me
      helping them work through what they've got and how to go about getting the
      rest of the information they need. This may not make sense. I have been
      working for several hours. Anyway, I am at a lost because the next unit is
      the human body unit and I plan on using this for the assessment entry. This
      unit last through March! I don't know what to do. Should I ditch this video
      and try something else? Entry 4 and 2 are the only entries that I need to
      collect the data for. Does anyone have advice for me?
      Frustrated Colleen
    • Pamela Barnett
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
        From what I have read and been told from other
        candidates, I think as long as you have planned well,
        it doesn't hurt if your students don't "produce" as
        you expected--as long as you deal with it in your
        analysis and reflection. I wouldn't push myself into
        a corner by re-doing the entry--it could turn out
        worse and you would be in a time crunch! Just my
        thoughts, Pam
        --- cbeaken@... wrote:
        > Hi!
        > I am glad to here that others are feeling a bit
        > brain dead. Unfortunately, I
        > am second guessing one of my video tapes. I was so
        > excited to use a web quest
        > on genetic engineering and cloning for this entry. I
        > have used this the past
        > two years and it has been extremely successful. I
        > have tape of several
        > classes. The video tape includes me interacting with
        > small groups. I had
        > hoped that they discussions would be driven by the
        > information that the
        > students collected and how they interpreted this
        > information. Many of the
        > groups had collected inadequate information so part
        > of the video shows me
        > helping them work through what they've got and how
        > to go about getting the
        > rest of the information they need. This may not make
        > sense. I have been
        > working for several hours. Anyway, I am at a lost
        > because the next unit is
        > the human body unit and I plan on using this for the
        > assessment entry. This
        > unit last through March! I don't know what to do.
        > Should I ditch this video
        > and try something else? Entry 4 and 2 are the only
        > entries that I need to
        > collect the data for. Does anyone have advice for
        > me?
        > Frustrated Colleen

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Susan Lewis
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001

          cbeaken@... wrote:

[...]

          Is this for entry 3 or 4?  I am assuming since you are working with small groups it is for 4.  I think you can use this video, but it is hard to say without seeing it.  If you have some groups that actually got it then you can use the next group also that didn't.  I think you could talk about why they had difficulty in your analysis or even more so in your reflection.  I took am about brain dead and am wishing I had this all done and mailed.
          Good Luck,
          Susan
        • Jill W Saia
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
            The assessors at NB do not expect you to lead a "perfect" class discussion.
            What they're looking for is exactly what you've alluded to in your message;
            that you recognize the kids didn't understand it as well as they should,
            you know there are things you could have done to facilitate better, and how
            you will teach this next time. My video of the class discussion is
            certainly not my favorite; it was very painful to watch, because my
            students just weren't getting the concept. But in my write-up I was
            brutally honest about what went wrong, and I scored pretty high on this
            one. NB is looking for teachers who not only plan and teach good lessons,
            but also reflect on those lessons and constantly tweak them to make them
            better. Admitting that it didn't go as well as planned will not make you
            lose any points, and it may even help.
            Use the video you have - it sounds like a great lesson!
            Jill