Re: [EASCI] Help with entry 3

  • Robin Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 16, 2001
      Re: [EASCI] Help with entry 3 on 1/16/01 4:30 PM, Susan Lewis at smlewis@... wrote:

      lfoster1@... wrote:
      I am not sure about this entry.  Should I assess prior knowledge and
      then begin a discussion on inroducing new content??
      I am in the middle of a unit on Mixtures and Solutions and I
      want to introduce students to concentrated and diluted solutions.
      Should I just begin an entire New Unit? and assess prior knowledge?
      and then introduce them to a new concept?  I am a little lost and
      need ideas>
      Thanks,
      Linda in SC
      I began the lesson with a review on the things we had discussed in previous lessons.  I did this entry on sound.  I began the discussion talking about waves in general and relating it to water waves that we had discussed in an earlier unit.  I used tuning forks as a discovery. The section of tape I used was when the students were using the tuning forks to discover that sound is produced by vibrations and the energy can be transferred.In your case you could assess prior knowledge at the beginning of the discussion. Since this entry requires introduction of a new concept, I don't think you have to begin a new unit, just a new concept.  Concentrated and diluted solutions are a new concept if you haven't discussed them yet. You also might try using a discovery lesson.
      I am still working on the analysis of the videotape myself.  Don't you wish they would write the questions in English?
      Good Luck,
      Susan in MS

      I hope I can help. This one was confusing to me also. I don't know if the directions have changed any since last year's cycle but under "Selecting the Instructional Sequence" mine said that it could be content related or related to scientific process. I knew that my students did not understand the difference between an observation and an inference so I gave them a candle that I had altered (I made it look like it had been lit), I gave them some time to list observations about the candle. The actual taped part started with the students giving me their  "observations" about the candle. I wrote all responses on a large sheet of paper and made a class list. Then we reviewed what an observation was and went through each thing on the list. If it did not fit the description of an observation we skipped it. After we went through the list we went back to the items that we did not identify as observations. It never fails, some student always says that the candle burned. This is where I introduced inference. We discussed that the observation was that the wick was black and the inference was that the candle had burned. We went on and did some practice of making inferences and observations using  the footprints puzzle and comic strips. I hope this helps. I scored a 4.0 on this entry. If you need further clarification or help just let me know.

      Robin in NC
      NBCT EA Science 2000