Re: [EASCI] Help with entry 3

  • Jill W Saia
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 14, 2001
      Tell me what entry 3 is - is it Probing Student Understanding? Don't have
      my portfolio at home and I can't remember. Let me know though and I'll be
      happy to help!
      Jill
    • cbeaken@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2001
      • cbeaken@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2001
          --- In EASCI@egroups.com, lfoster1@b... wrote:
          > I am not sure about this entry. Should I assess prior knowledge and
          > then begin a discussion on inroducing new content??
          > I am in the middle of a unit on Mixtures and Solutions and I
          > want to introduce students to concentrated and diluted solutions.
          > Should I just begin an entire New Unit? and assess prior knowledge?
          > and then introduce them to a new concept? I am a little lost and
          > need ideas>
          > Thanks,
          > Linda in SC

          I feel the same about #3. I used class discussion to introduce a new
          investigation. As a class, we began a KWL to develop prior knowledge
          and what we needed to learn. I setting up the egg lab that models
          osmosis. The video is 20 minutes of questioning and discussion. I
          don't know if it is right.

          Thanks,
          Coll
        • Jill W Saia
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 15, 2001
            Now that I know which entry you're talking about, let me see if I can help.
            I did well on this one in spite of the fact my students never "got" the
            concept I was trying to introduce! I don't think you have to begin a new
            unit; simply introducing a new concept or topic is enough. Consider using
            an opening activity or discrepant event teacher demo to spark the
            discussion. That way it won't be just teacher/student talk for 20 minutes.
            Also, by using some kind of "idea starter", you're able to assess what kids
            know and don't know about the topic.
            My topic was density, and I used a discrepant event to get the kids to
            think. I then had them write in their journals what they were observing -
            they don't even talk until about 5 minutes into the video. I did this
            because I wanted them to really THINK about what they were seeing before
            they started offering ideas out loud. And of course I explained all this
            in my write up, along with admitting that it did not work as well as I had
            hoped. I think my honesty in reflecting on the lesson was what they wanted
            to see; not perfection in videotaping. So if you can lead a discussion on
            your current topic, I think that's much more natural than trying to start a
            new unit just to fit the guidelines. The key is to be relaxed (easy for me
            to say, I know) and teach the way you love to teach.
            Hope this helps - let me know what you decide to do.
            Jill
          • Susan Lewis
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 16, 2001

              lfoster1@... wrote:

               I am not sure about this entry.  Should I assess prior knowledge and
              then begin a discussion on inroducing new content??
              I am in the middle of a unit on Mixtures and Solutions and I
              want to introduce students to concentrated and diluted solutions.
              Should I just begin an entire New Unit? and assess prior knowledge?
              and then introduce them to a new concept?  I am a little lost and
              need ideas>
              Thanks,
              Linda in SC
              I began the lesson with a review on the things we had discussed in previous lessons.  I did this entry on sound.  I began the discussion talking about waves in general and relating it to water waves that we had discussed in an earlier unit.  I used tuning forks as a discovery.  The section of tape I used was when the students were using the tuning forks to discover that sound is produced by vibrations and the energy can be transferred.In your case you could assess prior knowledge at the beginning of the discussion. Since this entry requires introduction of a new concept, I don't think you have to begin a new unit, just a new concept.  Concentrated and diluted solutions are a new concept if you haven't discussed them yet.  You also might try using a discovery lesson.
              I am still working on the analysis of the videotape myself.  Don't you wish they would write the questions in English?
              Good Luck,
              Susan in MS

            • Robin Hall
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 16, 2001
                Re: [EASCI] Help with entry 3 on 1/16/01 4:30 PM, Susan Lewis at smlewis@... wrote:

                lfoster1@... wrote:
[...]

                I hope I can help. This one was confusing to me also. I don't know if the directions have changed any since last year's cycle but under "Selecting the Instructional Sequence" mine said that it could be content related or related to scientific process. I knew that my students did not understand the difference between an observation and an inference so I gave them a candle that I had altered (I made it look like it had been lit), I gave them some time to list observations about the candle. The actual taped part started with the students giving me their  "observations" about the candle. I wrote all responses on a large sheet of paper and made a class list. Then we reviewed what an observation was and went through each thing on the list. If it did not fit the description of an observation we skipped it. After we went through the list we went back to the items that we did not identify as observations. It never fails, some student always says that the candle burned. This is where I introduced inference. We discussed that the observation was that the wick was black and the inference was that the candle had burned. We went on and did some practice of making inferences and observations using  the footprints puzzle and comic strips. I hope this helps. I scored a 4.0 on this entry. If you need further clarification or help just let me know.

                Robin in NC
                NBCT EA Science 2000