Re: [EASCI] Assessment Center

  • Rita Lander
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
      I am a retake candidate. I am taking the data analysis and interrelationships tests over. I was told to read old science textbooks. For data and analysis I was told to study the ACT science reasoning tests. Hope this helps. Would love to hear your suggestions. Rita

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 22, 2009

        Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

        You're right:  it's vague.  But, be careful what you carry in your pockets to the assessment center.

        Don Deresz
        Miami, FL

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2009
          Hi,
          I achieved NBPTS in December of 09. I, like Philip, had no idea what I was doing on the first test. I was so nervous that I just froze. I too BS'ed for 20 minutes. Everything ran so smoothly for the next 5 tests. Test 3, I thought I absolutey aced. I had no doubt when I walked out of there that I got 3.5 or above on it. When I got my scores, I got a 3.25 on test 1 but got a 1 on test 3...how that worked I will never know. The most important thing is to stay calm during that first test and read each question carefully. I think that on question 3, I MUST HAVE READ the question incorrectly and answered something they were not asking because I am absolutely positive my information was 100% correct.

          Just stay calm and be careful.

          By the way, the descriptions of what each test is about is very helpful. Not only did I study science textbooks, I also used the National Science Standards. That seemed to help focus me.

          Hope this helps. Good Luck.
          Tina

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Wooley <pwooley2000@...> wrote:

          > Amy,
          > I achieved in 2007 on a retake.  Here is my recollection of the Assessment Center:  I entered the test site and was asked to empty my pockets into a locker.  The prompts are timed and a clock appears at the top of the screen.  The first prompt- I knew nothing.  I B.S.'d for 20 minutes- I know the assessors must have laughed when they read my entry.  However, the second and third prompt were things that I had recently taught.  I did well on the assessment center although it was quite unnerving.
          > Read textbooks for grades you do not teach. Read lab manuals.
          > Good luck.
          >
          > Phillip C. Wooley

        • Christopher Heroux
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2009
            Make sure you receive a response booklet!  I tested last Saturday and the testing facility in Tulsa told me I wasn't going to need my labels or a response booklet.  I came to question 3 and I needed a response booklet.  Was a little stressed since I lost some time trying to get the test facilitators attention so I could be given a response booklet.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 9, 2009
              Please tell me more on how and where you got the flash cards. Explain more about them. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning them before now. I am retaking the first 2 tests. Won't old textbooks help.