Re: [EASCI] Assessment Center

  • Phillip Wooley
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 21 12:31 PM
      Amy,
      I achieved in 2007 on a retake.  Here is my recollection of the Assessment Center:  I entered the test site and was asked to empty my pockets into a locker.  The prompts are timed and a clock appears at the top of the screen.  The first prompt- I knew nothing.  I B.S.'d for 20 minutes- I know the assessors must have laughed when they read my entry.  However, the second and third prompt were things that I had recently taught.  I did well on the assessment center although it was quite unnerving.
      Read textbooks for grades you do not teach. Read lab manuals.
      Good luck.

      Phillip C. Wooley

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 21 7:33 PM
        I am a retake candidate. I am taking the data analysis and interrelationships tests over. I was told to read old science textbooks. For data and analysis I was told to study the ACT science reasoning tests. Hope this helps. Would love to hear your suggestions. Rita

        This group looks like it might have fizzled out. I was wondering if anyone had tips for the Assessment Center, it feels very vague despite what NBTC has put out there.

      • Don Deresz
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22 2:49 AM

          Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

          You're right:  it's vague.  But, be careful what you carry in your pockets to the assessment center.

          Don Deresz
          Miami, FL

          This group looks like it might have fizzled out. I was wondering if anyone had tips for the Assessment Center, it feels very vague despite what NBTC has put out there.

        • tmk2950
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28 3:22 PM
            Hi,
            I achieved NBPTS in December of 09. I, like Philip, had no idea what I was doing on the first test. I was so nervous that I just froze. I too BS'ed for 20 minutes. Everything ran so smoothly for the next 5 tests. Test 3, I thought I absolutey aced. I had no doubt when I walked out of there that I got 3.5 or above on it. When I got my scores, I got a 3.25 on test 1 but got a 1 on test 3...how that worked I will never know. The most important thing is to stay calm during that first test and read each question carefully. I think that on question 3, I MUST HAVE READ the question incorrectly and answered something they were not asking because I am absolutely positive my information was 100% correct.

            Just stay calm and be careful.

            By the way, the descriptions of what each test is about is very helpful. Not only did I study science textbooks, I also used the National Science Standards. That seemed to help focus me.

            Hope this helps. Good Luck.
            Tina

            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Wooley <pwooley2000@...> wrote:

            > Amy,
            > I achieved in 2007 on a retake.  Here is my recollection of the Assessment Center:  I entered the test site and was asked to empty my pockets into a locker.  The prompts are timed and a clock appears at the top of the screen.  The first prompt- I knew nothing.  I B.S.'d for 20 minutes- I know the assessors must have laughed when they read my entry.  However, the second and third prompt were things that I had recently taught.  I did well on the assessment center although it was quite unnerving.
            > Read textbooks for grades you do not teach. Read lab manuals.
            > Good luck.
            >
            > Phillip C. Wooley

          • Christopher Heroux
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28 3:57 PM
              Make sure you receive a response booklet!  I tested last Saturday and the testing facility in Tulsa told me I wasn't going to need my labels or a response booklet.  I came to question 3 and I needed a response booklet.  Was a little stressed since I lost some time trying to get the test facilitators attention so I could be given a response booklet.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 9, 2009
                Please tell me more on how and where you got the flash cards. Explain more about them. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning them before now. I am retaking the first 2 tests. Won't old textbooks help.