Re: [EASCI] Entry #3 and Entry #4

  • Anthony Cody
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
      Take this for what it is worth. Before I give advice, I want to say my
      scores were not all 4's, and some were not even passing, (though in total I
      passed). Your portfolio is YOURS, so if you follow someone else's advice,
      do so without giving up your judgement or ownership.

      That said, here is my opinion:

      The topic with Entry 3 is Probing Student Understanding. The goal is to
      show how you introduce a new topic to students, and how you uncover their
      prior knowledge. It is supposed to be a whole class discussion, I believe.
      Before you tape this, you should think about:

      a. Your topic (of course).
      b. Key questions you will pose to reveal what students know or think.
      c. Open-ended questions to get students to explain their thinking.
      d. How you will follow up this discussion in future lessons.

      To show as many faces as possible, try to set up the camera to your side,
      so that as students speak to you their faces are visible, and the camera
      can capture you as well.

      For Entry 4, the key is to find an activity that is rich in data. The
      students are supposed to be finishing up an investigation. You are supposed
      to show how you draw out the data they have generated and help them make
      conclusions about it. In my tape, I had about half of it focused on the
      small groups, then we transitioned to a whole class discussion. You want an
      activity that features hands-on investigation resulting in the generation
      of data. Ideally, you want a vigorous discussion within each group as
      students prepare a graph or something else that finalizes their results.
      Then a whole class discussion where students are sharing data from group to
      group, agreeing or disagreeing with one another's conclusions. Remember to
      make it student-centered.

      For this one, you need to decide:

      a. The activity
      b. The nature of the data being collected.
      c. How students will present their data to each other.
      d. Open-ended questions to get students to explain their data. (eg, "How
      did you arrive at this? What do you think this means? Is your data in
      agreement with Group C?)
      d. Questions you will use to make connections between the data and the
      underlying scientific principles.(How does this relate to density? or
      whatever.)

      Anthony Cody, NBCT
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren