Re: [EASCI] Entry #3 and Entry #1

  • Tom Burkett
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
      Entry 3 was whole class discussion at the introductory level of a topic.
      For entry 4 I used a segment of tape in which I worked with about 4 groups
      during the 20 minute period, my usual procedure in a lab setting. It came
      out well.

      Tom Burkett

      >Does the Entry 3 and 4 videotaping have to concentrate on just one group or
      >what? I am confused as I was told by many to focus on just 1 group but the
      >instructions say to show as many faces as possible and make communications
      >clear enough to be understood. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!
      >MR. MIKELL

    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
        Take this for what it is worth. Before I give advice, I want to say my
        scores were not all 4's, and some were not even passing, (though in total I
        passed). Your portfolio is YOURS, so if you follow someone else's advice,
        do so without giving up your judgement or ownership.

        That said, here is my opinion:

        The topic with Entry 3 is Probing Student Understanding. The goal is to
        show how you introduce a new topic to students, and how you uncover their
        prior knowledge. It is supposed to be a whole class discussion, I believe.
        Before you tape this, you should think about:

        a. Your topic (of course).
        b. Key questions you will pose to reveal what students know or think.
        c. Open-ended questions to get students to explain their thinking.
        d. How you will follow up this discussion in future lessons.

        To show as many faces as possible, try to set up the camera to your side,
        so that as students speak to you their faces are visible, and the camera
        can capture you as well.

        For Entry 4, the key is to find an activity that is rich in data. The
        students are supposed to be finishing up an investigation. You are supposed
        to show how you draw out the data they have generated and help them make
        conclusions about it. In my tape, I had about half of it focused on the
        small groups, then we transitioned to a whole class discussion. You want an
        activity that features hands-on investigation resulting in the generation
        of data. Ideally, you want a vigorous discussion within each group as
        students prepare a graph or something else that finalizes their results.
        Then a whole class discussion where students are sharing data from group to
        group, agreeing or disagreeing with one another's conclusions. Remember to
        make it student-centered.

        For this one, you need to decide:

        a. The activity
        b. The nature of the data being collected.
        c. How students will present their data to each other.
        d. Open-ended questions to get students to explain their data. (eg, "How
        did you arrive at this? What do you think this means? Is your data in
        agreement with Group C?)
        d. Questions you will use to make connections between the data and the
        underlying scientific principles.(How does this relate to density? or
        whatever.)

        Anthony Cody, NBCT
        For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
        Cody's Science Education Zone at
        http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren