Entry #3 and Entry #1

  • pgdb77@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2000
      If I center my Probing Student Understanding entry on technology--its
      impact on society and individuals, (currently and historically), is
      it OK to also have a strong technology connection in my Entry #1? In
      Entry #1 I did a long unit centered on heredity, DNA, and genetics
      that was strongly tied to technology. For example, we discussed how
      technology has impacted the research on the nature/nurture aspects
      related to heredity and genetics, also the impact of the Human Genome
      Project and genetic engineering and cloning. If these topics come up
      in my classroom discussion on Entry #3 Probing Student Understanding,
      will that mean my entry doesn't meet the requirement that this topic
      elicit students' INITIAL conceptions of an important idea? I plan to
      direct students toward major technological advancements of the past
      as well as those taking place today in my Entry #3.
      Thanks, Pam

      P.S. Congratulations to all those newly NBC techers out there!
    • Robert Mikell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2000
        Does the Entry 3 and 4 videotaping have to concentrate on just one group or
        what? I am confused as I was told by many to focus on just 1 group but the
        instructions say to show as many faces as possible and make communications
        clear enough to be understood. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!
        MR. MIKELL
      • Tom Burkett
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
          Entry 3 was whole class discussion at the introductory level of a topic.
          For entry 4 I used a segment of tape in which I worked with about 4 groups
          during the 20 minute period, my usual procedure in a lab setting. It came
          out well.

          Tom Burkett

          >Does the Entry 3 and 4 videotaping have to concentrate on just one group or
          >what? I am confused as I was told by many to focus on just 1 group but the
          >instructions say to show as many faces as possible and make communications
          >clear enough to be understood. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!
          >MR. MIKELL

        • Anthony Cody
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
            Take this for what it is worth. Before I give advice, I want to say my
            scores were not all 4's, and some were not even passing, (though in total I
            passed). Your portfolio is YOURS, so if you follow someone else's advice,
            do so without giving up your judgement or ownership.

            That said, here is my opinion:

            The topic with Entry 3 is Probing Student Understanding. The goal is to
            show how you introduce a new topic to students, and how you uncover their
            prior knowledge. It is supposed to be a whole class discussion, I believe.
            Before you tape this, you should think about:

            a. Your topic (of course).
            b. Key questions you will pose to reveal what students know or think.
            c. Open-ended questions to get students to explain their thinking.
            d. How you will follow up this discussion in future lessons.

            To show as many faces as possible, try to set up the camera to your side,
            so that as students speak to you their faces are visible, and the camera
            can capture you as well.

            For Entry 4, the key is to find an activity that is rich in data. The
            students are supposed to be finishing up an investigation. You are supposed
            to show how you draw out the data they have generated and help them make
            conclusions about it. In my tape, I had about half of it focused on the
            small groups, then we transitioned to a whole class discussion. You want an
            activity that features hands-on investigation resulting in the generation
            of data. Ideally, you want a vigorous discussion within each group as
            students prepare a graph or something else that finalizes their results.
            Then a whole class discussion where students are sharing data from group to
            group, agreeing or disagreeing with one another's conclusions. Remember to
            make it student-centered.

            For this one, you need to decide:

            a. The activity
            b. The nature of the data being collected.
            c. How students will present their data to each other.
            d. Open-ended questions to get students to explain their data. (eg, "How
            did you arrive at this? What do you think this means? Is your data in
            agreement with Group C?)
            d. Questions you will use to make connections between the data and the
            underlying scientific principles.(How does this relate to density? or
            whatever.)

            Anthony Cody, NBCT
            For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
            Cody's Science Education Zone at
            http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren