Re: [EASCI] VIDEOTAPING

  • Anthony Cody
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
      >I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
      >videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
      >suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
      >anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
      >Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
      >MR. MIKELL

      Mr. Mikell,

      When I did my tapes, I asked for student volunteers to be the camera
      person. I was very lucky to get a volunteer who had been trained by her
      father in the basics of videography. She was a natural. Both of the tapes I
      used were done by her. I made it clear to the students that this was not a
      privilege I was bestowing on her that would rotate out of fairness. The
      stakes are too high for that.

      In the absence of a student who steps forward already knowing how to do a
      good video, I would ask for a volunteer who is willing to learn. I would
      then arrange a time to show that student the basics, after school, or at
      lunch time. Then have him shoot a practice tape, review it with him and
      look for ways to improve it.

      The big mistakes novices make are:

      1. Swooping the camera around quickly. This is very disorienting. Make
      sure they pan slowly.

      2. Not getting a sense of the whole room. Make sure that every 5 or 10
      minutes they pan the whole room slowly.

      3. Accidentally stopping the camera. Your tape MUST BE CONTINUOUS. I
      had one tape wrecked when a novice accidentally hit the record button when
      she moved the camera.

      4. Zooming in and out -- similar to swooping. The zoom should be used
      slowly and sparingly.

      Make sure you read over the advice the National Board provides regarding
      the video, and share that with your videographer.

      I found that using a student was ideal for me. When something messed up one
      day, I knew she would be there with me the next day, and I wouldn't have a
      lot of hassle rescheduling with an outsider.

      Anthony Cody, NBCT
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren
    • Janet Doughty
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
        Now that I know I 'made it', I can answer this question. I used a videocam
        on a tripod for both of the tapes I ended up using. Entry 4 was my best.
        After taping a couple of classes (and rearranging some seating areas so that
        it looked like I had students in my room besides the one small group!) I
        just let the camera run during a data gathering lab. I used a remote wired
        microphone taped to the wall beside the table. The taped portion I ended up
        using actually started before the official lesson did because the students'
        conversation about their project was so interesting. I found that just
        letting the camera run at odd intervals worked better than having someone
        else come in. My students became used to the videocam (we used some of the
        tapes to review labs) and the tapes I made this way looked more like classes
        than the two that I had help with. Good Luck!

        >From: "MR. MIKELL" <rmikell2@...>
        >To: EASCI@egroups.com
        >Subject: [EASCI] VIDEOTAPING
        >Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:37:31 -0000
        >
        >I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
        >videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
        >suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
        >anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
        >Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
        >MR. MIKELL

      • Yvette Laughlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
          I set up a tripod in my room also. I then asked a student from one of my
          other classes to come in and videotape for me. Since it was on a tripod, the
          student simply scanned the room and zoomed in on different students at
          various times. This worked great. It was one of my highest scores. Best
          Wishes.
          Patricia Laughlin, NBCT

          > I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
          > videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
          > suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
          > anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
          > Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
          > MR. MIKELL

        • Robert Mikell
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
            Patricia:
            CONGRATULATIONS on being an NBCT!!!! Thanks for the quick reply and positive
            input on the videotaping. My kids seem to be clamming up the more I videotape.
            I have been videotaping all year since August. I hope this trend does not
            continue. Can I ask you for any other advice if needed? I am having a little
            trouble on Entries 3 and 4 as to what to cover in subject matter. Anyway,
            thanks for the advice and GOD BLESS!!
            MR. MIKELL rmikell2@...
          • Anthony Cody
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000