VIDEOTAPING

  • MR. MIKELL
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
      I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
      videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
      suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
      anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
      Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
      MR. MIKELL
    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
        >I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
        >videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
        >suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
        >anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
        >Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
        >MR. MIKELL

        Mr. Mikell,

        When I did my tapes, I asked for student volunteers to be the camera
        person. I was very lucky to get a volunteer who had been trained by her
        father in the basics of videography. She was a natural. Both of the tapes I
        used were done by her. I made it clear to the students that this was not a
        privilege I was bestowing on her that would rotate out of fairness. The
        stakes are too high for that.

        In the absence of a student who steps forward already knowing how to do a
        good video, I would ask for a volunteer who is willing to learn. I would
        then arrange a time to show that student the basics, after school, or at
        lunch time. Then have him shoot a practice tape, review it with him and
        look for ways to improve it.

        The big mistakes novices make are:

        1. Swooping the camera around quickly. This is very disorienting. Make
        sure they pan slowly.

        2. Not getting a sense of the whole room. Make sure that every 5 or 10
        minutes they pan the whole room slowly.

        3. Accidentally stopping the camera. Your tape MUST BE CONTINUOUS. I
        had one tape wrecked when a novice accidentally hit the record button when
        she moved the camera.

        4. Zooming in and out -- similar to swooping. The zoom should be used
        slowly and sparingly.

        Make sure you read over the advice the National Board provides regarding
        the video, and share that with your videographer.

        I found that using a student was ideal for me. When something messed up one
        day, I knew she would be there with me the next day, and I wouldn't have a
        lot of hassle rescheduling with an outsider.

        Anthony Cody, NBCT
        For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
        Cody's Science Education Zone at
        http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren
      • Janet Doughty
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
          Now that I know I 'made it', I can answer this question. I used a videocam
          on a tripod for both of the tapes I ended up using. Entry 4 was my best.
          After taping a couple of classes (and rearranging some seating areas so that
          it looked like I had students in my room besides the one small group!) I
          just let the camera run during a data gathering lab. I used a remote wired
          microphone taped to the wall beside the table. The taped portion I ended up
          using actually started before the official lesson did because the students'
          conversation about their project was so interesting. I found that just
          letting the camera run at odd intervals worked better than having someone
          else come in. My students became used to the videocam (we used some of the
          tapes to review labs) and the tapes I made this way looked more like classes
          than the two that I had help with. Good Luck!

          >From: "MR. MIKELL" <rmikell2@...>
          >To: EASCI@egroups.com
          >Subject: [EASCI] VIDEOTAPING
          >Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:37:31 -0000
          >
          >I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
          >videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
          >suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
          >anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
          >Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
          >MR. MIKELL

        • Yvette Laughlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
            I set up a tripod in my room also. I then asked a student from one of my
            other classes to come in and videotape for me. Since it was on a tripod, the
            student simply scanned the room and zoomed in on different students at
            various times. This worked great. It was one of my highest scores. Best
            Wishes.
            Patricia Laughlin, NBCT

            > I am currently working on videotaping my classrooms. I am trying to
            > videotape a small group for Entry 4. Does anyone have any
            > suggestions as to how I can get this done on my own. I can't find
            > anyone willing to tape for me, so I am having to use a tripod only.
            > Thanks for any and all help. GOD BLESS!!!
            > MR. MIKELL

          • Robert Mikell
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
              Patricia:
              CONGRATULATIONS on being an NBCT!!!! Thanks for the quick reply and positive
              input on the videotaping. My kids seem to be clamming up the more I videotape.
              I have been videotaping all year since August. I hope this trend does not
              continue. Can I ask you for any other advice if needed? I am having a little
              trouble on Entries 3 and 4 as to what to cover in subject matter. Anyway,
              thanks for the advice and GOD BLESS!!
              MR. MIKELL rmikell2@...
            • Anthony Cody
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000