Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 85

  • Anthony Cody
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2000
      For # 1 I used a unit on density -- it is on my web site if you want to
      look. I call it Heavy Ice, and it involves liquids of different densities
      as well as solid objects of different densities, For #2, on assessment, I
      used a weather unit that included a report the kids wrote and revised. For
      # 3 I used a unit on dry ice. The kids explored and then we generated
      questions that served as the basis for investigation. This sequence is
      likewise on my web site in the lesson plan section. For the last video, #4,
      I used a unit I put together really for the purpose of creating the video.
      This was a unit on sands of the world, where the students compared sand
      samples from a variety of beaches and tried to make inferences about the
      parent material and age of the sand.

      I think it helps to think about what you do in your regular practice that
      works well in general, then think about which of these activity sequences
      are particularly strong in student work products -- that would be best for
      1 and 2. Which has a really engaging, exciting kick-off? That might be best
      for #3. Which result in a rich set of data that give the kids a lot to
      discuss and analyze? That would be best for #4.

      I hope that helps.

      Anthony Cody
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren