Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 85

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2000
      Hello, again!
      I am STILL waiting for scores (but not for long, I guess), but for #1 I did activities on the periodic table, #3 was types of energy - we discussed which was best and for what, and #4 I did post-lab discussions with small groups about a lab on motion with small motorized cars. I don't feel too confident about my entry 4, but no because the idea was poor --- I just think I handled it poorly. It was the first time I had done small-group post-labs and maybe it showed.

      What did you do your #2 on?

      Good luck,
      Mary Jo in MO
    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2000
        For # 1 I used a unit on density -- it is on my web site if you want to
        look. I call it Heavy Ice, and it involves liquids of different densities
        as well as solid objects of different densities, For #2, on assessment, I
        used a weather unit that included a report the kids wrote and revised. For
        # 3 I used a unit on dry ice. The kids explored and then we generated
        questions that served as the basis for investigation. This sequence is
        likewise on my web site in the lesson plan section. For the last video, #4,
        I used a unit I put together really for the purpose of creating the video.
        This was a unit on sands of the world, where the students compared sand
        samples from a variety of beaches and tried to make inferences about the
        parent material and age of the sand.

        I think it helps to think about what you do in your regular practice that
        works well in general, then think about which of these activity sequences
        are particularly strong in student work products -- that would be best for
        1 and 2. Which has a really engaging, exciting kick-off? That might be best
        for #3. Which result in a rich set of data that give the kids a lot to
        discuss and analyze? That would be best for #4.

        I hope that helps.

        Anthony Cody
        For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
        Cody's Science Education Zone at
        http://ousdmail.ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren