Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 77

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
      It's been a long time since I sent in my entries, and I refuse to look at them until I get my scores, ever since I looked up one documented accomplishment and saw many ways to improve it.

      That said, I'll give it my best shot.
      Is entry 2 for you called Assessment? In this, I had to select 3 different assessments over a period of time, showing growth for the students who I studied. I used a concept map as a "pretest," and lab for the middle assessment, and a "quiz" for the last assessment. I focused on a few goals I wanted the students to learn: trends on the periodic family and across a period. For each assessment, I showed what they knew, how I helped them learn, what they learned, and any deficiencies at the end of the unit.
      I hope this fits what you are looking for.

      For me, Entry 4 was the videotape of a post-lab discussion. I did this with small groups. I went from group to group, and discussed their lab with them. I chose a lab that was NOT a cookbook lab, on the motion of a toy car. Each team made a "white board" of the key parts of their lab data, analysis, and conclusion. They also sketched a graph. then I talked with them about it on tape. I got 4 groups done in the 20 minute period. I did this all day with my 5 classes, and at the end of the day, I chose the 20 minutes that I felt showed the standards the best.

      I am still waiting nervously for scores. I felt really good about my portfolio entries when I mailed them, but now I am not so sure.

      So while this may not be winning advice, at least it tells you what one teacher submitted.

      Good luck,
      Mary Jo in MO
    • Tom Burkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2000
        I saw a NBPTS representative at the National Middle School Conference in
        St. Louis. He said scores should be out in the few days before or after
        Thanksgiving.

        Tom
      • v1945@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2000
          The longer time goes, the more I am not sure about receiving qualifying
          score.  I will be glad to finally know the outcome.
          I also heard that scores will be mailed regular mail.
          Hope we hear soon!
          I copied this from NBTS site.Thought you might get a chuckle out of this!
          Vicki

          AKA Dr. Seuss: "Good Score? Bad Score?"

          One day, two days, three days, four
          Must we wait for twenty more?
          Will the news come slow or fast?
          Will my fate be sealed at last?
          Big or small? Round or flat?
          Can the package hold my stats?
          Yellow, blue, brown or red?
          UPS, Postal service, or the Fed?
          Happy smiles or tears of doom?
          Will my face show cheer or gloom?
          Here I'll see my future read:
          Pat my back or Bank instead?
          AYA-ELA Candidate in Waiting
          (Is doggerel (sp) better or worse than debate :-) ...
          I know, I know...it's all bad!
          PS Good luck to all of us. I think all of you on this site are WONDERFULk
          PEOPLE AND TEACHERS (Yes, even those of you who don't understand that we're
          just a LITTLE crazy right now with this waiting game!)
          (anonymous)