Re: [EASCI] It's Nov. 1...and I'm just lost getting started

  • suesippel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
      Its never too late... just be ready for some long hard hours.  You can do it!

    • Lori
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Kfloamy" <kfloamy@...> wrote:

        > can anyone help me?? Is it too late for me??

        I don't think I would be of much help. I passed but by the 'skin of my
        teeth'. But, it's not too late - I started at the end of December last
        year (for a portfolio due date of March 31st). It was grueling and
        while I had some folks to support me, most were about the Middle
        Child-Generalist. I did use two books and found them very helpful.
        These are "Accomplished Teaching" (I used the first edition) and the
        NBPTS Workbook (check them out at Amazon).

        I have to share my experience on the video-entries. For one, done in
        February (after many false starts), I spent hours and hours on the
        reviewing of the selected portion and on the writing. I had colleagues
        review my written entry. For the other, I just ran out of time. First,
        I didn't record it until the middle of March (yikes!!!) and I didn't
        leave enough time for the writeup. So, I figured I'd have to re-do
        this one and focused all my time on the others. I did write up a 'bare
        bones' entry as I didn't want them to judge my overall submittal
        incomplete. I wrote the whole entry in just a few hours, just glancing
        at what the NBPTS said was required. Well, I got a higher score on
        this one than on the one I spent dozens of hours on. I didn't do great
        on either - the scores were 2.25 and 2.5. BUT, I think I got a higher
        score for two reasons: my writing was clear and direct. I just said
        what worked and what didn't in basic terms; second, my students were
        much better at running the discussions by this time, and they really
        talked to each other and I didn't have to keep directing and
        re-directing the discussion.

        My 'documented accomplishments' got a 3.0 - and I think the reason why
        it wasn't higher was my family contact evidence only spanned one year.

        If you want more detail about what I did and didn't do, visit my web
        site and you may find a way to get more in touch with me.
        scienceforall com

        It was a great experience and I did learn a lot about what works with
        my teaching and what needs improving.