Going it alone???

  • tmk2950
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
      Is it possible to do this without a mentor because I currently do not
      have one. No one at my school has even heard of NBPTS. I did take a
      10 week primer class with another teacher at my school who was
      considering it but she discovered that she is expecting after trying
      for a very long time...needless to say, she chose not to pursue. Is
      it possible or should I keep looking for a mentor?
    • Stephanie Stipkovich
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        Although it may be possible, it certainly will be more difficult. Why take the chance? Get a couple really good mentors. I am not available but by posting on here and on other NBCT Yahoo groups, I'm sure you can find a few. I strongly recommend it.

        Stephanie Stipkovich

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
          Thanks for the advice, Stephanie.  I will keep trying to find at least one.

          Tina

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tina Kammer <tmk2950@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the advice, Stephanie. I will keep trying to find at
            least one.

            > Tina
            >
            > Stephanie Stipkovich <stipko@...> wrote:
            > Although it may be possible, it certainly will be more
            difficult. Why take the chance? Get a couple really good mentors. I
            am not available but by posting on here and on other NBCT Yahoo
            groups, I'm sure you can find a few. I strongly recommend it.

            > Stephanie Stipkovich

            I went it alone with no mentor, just my info. packet from NBPTS.
            Either you can you do it or you can't. I passed on my first try with
            no trouble.
            Professor 113
          • Stephanie Stipkovich
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
              <<Either you can you do it or you can't.>>

              I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with this statement. Some may be able to do it on their own, but you are the minority. Most need the mentoring. I tried to do it almost on my own my first try and missed the mark. After having the help of several mentors (2 that were spectacular) I saw the light and it made all the difference. In speaking to many others, this seems to be the norm.

              Stephanie Stipkovich