Help with Entry #2 - retake

  • msmcmurrer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2006

      Hello,
      I am in the process of planning a re-do video for entry #2. I am a retake candidate.

      I have the topic of classification coming up soon and also the concept of evolution. These are two good topics that I think I can get a lot of dialogue and misconceptions from my students in the initial discussion that I need to video.

         I'm looking for suggestions for off camera opening activities that will lead to the dialogue and discussion that I need to get on tape. Any ideas and suggestions will be most appreciated.

      Thank you!
      Marlene

    • tanyatebanks@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2006
        Marlene,

        I have  taken something simple like masking tape,  put it on each students wrist or around a shoe with sticky side up.  Students and teachers go for a walk outdoors ( when not muddy or icy) return to the room and using magnifying lense, toothpick or tweezers have students generate a sorting  or classifying activtiy that leads to classifying what they collected.  I have also used petroluem jelly in petri dishes and had the students place in areas around the school to collect particles found in the air.
        I have heard students come up with accurate and inaccurate comments.  Since most don't recognize insect parts and seeds, they are most surprized when given a field guide to compare.  You might try that.  They are also, depending on the age ( 5,6 or 7th grade) not keenly aware of what makes up soil.  You could do a sorting activity then classify living from non living.

        As far as evolution is concerned I really never thougth of that as truly scientific becasue in the south where I am from if I allowed students to risk sharing thier concepts vs misconceptions we got into too much religion.  I would not want that on video. You may see it differently.

        Good luck,
        Tanya