Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 63

  • jsaia@lsu.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
      Someone asked for advice from one who is already certified; here it is.
      Take a deep breath, take a long walk, and then get back to studying and
      taking notes. All of you sound like you're on the right track - rely
      heavily on the booklet NB sent you to prepare. It is a good guideline for
      what you'll get at the A/C. It doesn't give you the exact questions, but
      it does go a long way toward giving you general areas to concentrate on. I
      studied for a month and took copious handwritten notes (I was afraid they
      wouldn't let me bring in anything that was typed). While I used very few
      of those notes during the actual test, they were like a security blanket to
      me. And because I had spent the time preparing, my answers ( to most
      questions) came easily. There was one question that left me in tears, but
      that was because my own content knowledge was weak in that area. The
      beauty of this process is that even if you blow one question, there are
      lots of other places where you can score high and pick it up.
      As for the testing center: I am the only person in my city who is NBCT, so
      they really didn't know what to do with me! It took me twenty minutes and
      two phone calls by the administrator to convince them that it was okay for
      me to bring my notes in. The room was comfortable, but bring a sweater for
      overactive a/c. I didn't take a lunch break - I just wanted to get it over
      with! After two questions, I took a bathroom break, walked outside and ate
      a breakfast bar, then got back to work. I was finished by about 2:00, and
      by 3:00 was enjoying a bottle of wine with my best friend ( also a science
      teacher) and commiserating over the question that I blew.
      I hope this helps - and if I can help with more specific questions, please
      let me know. Good luck to all of you!
      Jill