Re: Thematic links

  • Anthony Cody
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
      To follow Ann min's suggestion regarding Prentica Hall, the skinny Science
      Explorer books have been repackaged into three fat volumes: Focus on Life
      Science, Focus on Earth Science and Focus on Physical Science, in keeping
      with current regressive trends (at least here in California). Each of these
      volumes has a five page Thematic Overview summarizing thematic connections
      for each chapter.

      I am retyping these to use as notes in the AC.

      Anthony Cody
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousdmail/~codypren
    • jsaia@lsu.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
        Someone asked for advice from one who is already certified; here it is.
        Take a deep breath, take a long walk, and then get back to studying and
        taking notes. All of you sound like you're on the right track - rely
        heavily on the booklet NB sent you to prepare. It is a good guideline for
        what you'll get at the A/C. It doesn't give you the exact questions, but
        it does go a long way toward giving you general areas to concentrate on. I
        studied for a month and took copious handwritten notes (I was afraid they
        wouldn't let me bring in anything that was typed). While I used very few
        of those notes during the actual test, they were like a security blanket to
        me. And because I had spent the time preparing, my answers ( to most
        questions) came easily. There was one question that left me in tears, but
        that was because my own content knowledge was weak in that area. The
        beauty of this process is that even if you blow one question, there are
        lots of other places where you can score high and pick it up.
        As for the testing center: I am the only person in my city who is NBCT, so
        they really didn't know what to do with me! It took me twenty minutes and
        two phone calls by the administrator to convince them that it was okay for
        me to bring my notes in. The room was comfortable, but bring a sweater for
        overactive a/c. I didn't take a lunch break - I just wanted to get it over
        with! After two questions, I took a bathroom break, walked outside and ate
        a breakfast bar, then got back to work. I was finished by about 2:00, and
        by 3:00 was enjoying a bottle of wine with my best friend ( also a science
        teacher) and commiserating over the question that I blew.
        I hope this helps - and if I can help with more specific questions, please
        let me know. Good luck to all of you!
        Jill