Re: Thematic links

  • Anthony Cody
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
      To follow Ann min's suggestion regarding Prentica Hall, the skinny Science
      Explorer books have been repackaged into three fat volumes: Focus on Life
      Science, Focus on Earth Science and Focus on Physical Science, in keeping
      with current regressive trends (at least here in California). Each of these
      volumes has a five page Thematic Overview summarizing thematic connections
      for each chapter.

      I am retyping these to use as notes in the AC.

      Anthony Cody
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousdmail/~codypren
    • Ann Min
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
        Yvette,

        For unifying concepts, get a hold of a copy of the Prentice Hall Science
        explorer books, these are the skinny single topic books. The teachers
        edition has pages in the beginning of the book that lays out unifying
        concepts and how they are relating to the specific sciences. Even
        though your samples are the ones from last years test, the concepts are
        pretty standard and this book series helped me a lot.

        Ann Min, NBCT
        EASCI
      • jsaia@lsu.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
          Someone asked for advice from one who is already certified; here it is.
          Take a deep breath, take a long walk, and then get back to studying and
          taking notes. All of you sound like you're on the right track - rely
          heavily on the booklet NB sent you to prepare. It is a good guideline for
          what you'll get at the A/C. It doesn't give you the exact questions, but
          it does go a long way toward giving you general areas to concentrate on. I
          studied for a month and took copious handwritten notes (I was afraid they
          wouldn't let me bring in anything that was typed). While I used very few
          of those notes during the actual test, they were like a security blanket to
          me. And because I had spent the time preparing, my answers ( to most
          questions) came easily. There was one question that left me in tears, but
          that was because my own content knowledge was weak in that area. The
          beauty of this process is that even if you blow one question, there are
          lots of other places where you can score high and pick it up.
          As for the testing center: I am the only person in my city who is NBCT, so
          they really didn't know what to do with me! It took me twenty minutes and
          two phone calls by the administrator to convince them that it was okay for
          me to bring my notes in. The room was comfortable, but bring a sweater for
          overactive a/c. I didn't take a lunch break - I just wanted to get it over
          with! After two questions, I took a bathroom break, walked outside and ate
          a breakfast bar, then got back to work. I was finished by about 2:00, and
          by 3:00 was enjoying a bottle of wine with my best friend ( also a science
          teacher) and commiserating over the question that I blew.
          I hope this helps - and if I can help with more specific questions, please
          let me know. Good luck to all of you!
          Jill