Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 63

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
      Hi, Yvette!

      I have had pretty good luck finding info on Unifying Concepts by checking the teacher's editions of various junior high texts. Most books printed in the last 5 years or so have something in the front few pages correlating the chapters with the NSES areas. Look for the Unifying Concepts listing, and note the topics that are identified. Now if only we had time to study all of this -- for me, it's the earth and life science that I have never taught which will give me trouble.

      For Misconceptions, there are a number of books published and mentioned on the list serve at the NB site. Look back in the archives of this listserv for some books I previously mentioned (I am at school, so I don't have the titles with me). Some teacher guides may even point out areas of misconceptions. Again, if kids have misconceptions in the earth and life sciences, I might have them, too!

      I test on June 19, and am in school until this Thursday at 3 pm. Panic is definitely setting in. I could spend all summer preparing for each one of the questions!

      Good luck to all who will be testing. Any candidates who have tested -- how was the room? the temperature? the space you could work in? the computer program? other stuff? bring lunch or eat out? take breaks or not? (You know how desperate some of us are for ANY details that will give us a feeling of confidence, and we will apppreciate any tips.)
    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
        To follow Ann min's suggestion regarding Prentica Hall, the skinny Science
        Explorer books have been repackaged into three fat volumes: Focus on Life
        Science, Focus on Earth Science and Focus on Physical Science, in keeping
        with current regressive trends (at least here in California). Each of these
        volumes has a five page Thematic Overview summarizing thematic connections
        for each chapter.

        I am retyping these to use as notes in the AC.

        Anthony Cody
        For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
        Cody's Science Education Zone at
        http://ousdmail/~codypren
      • Ann Min
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
          Yvette,

          For unifying concepts, get a hold of a copy of the Prentice Hall Science
          explorer books, these are the skinny single topic books. The teachers
          edition has pages in the beginning of the book that lays out unifying
          concepts and how they are relating to the specific sciences. Even
          though your samples are the ones from last years test, the concepts are
          pretty standard and this book series helped me a lot.

          Ann Min, NBCT
          EASCI
        • jsaia@lsu.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
            Someone asked for advice from one who is already certified; here it is.
            Take a deep breath, take a long walk, and then get back to studying and
            taking notes. All of you sound like you're on the right track - rely
            heavily on the booklet NB sent you to prepare. It is a good guideline for
            what you'll get at the A/C. It doesn't give you the exact questions, but
            it does go a long way toward giving you general areas to concentrate on. I
            studied for a month and took copious handwritten notes (I was afraid they
            wouldn't let me bring in anything that was typed). While I used very few
            of those notes during the actual test, they were like a security blanket to
            me. And because I had spent the time preparing, my answers ( to most
            questions) came easily. There was one question that left me in tears, but
            that was because my own content knowledge was weak in that area. The
            beauty of this process is that even if you blow one question, there are
            lots of other places where you can score high and pick it up.
            As for the testing center: I am the only person in my city who is NBCT, so
            they really didn't know what to do with me! It took me twenty minutes and
            two phone calls by the administrator to convince them that it was okay for
            me to bring my notes in. The room was comfortable, but bring a sweater for
            overactive a/c. I didn't take a lunch break - I just wanted to get it over
            with! After two questions, I took a bathroom break, walked outside and ate
            a breakfast bar, then got back to work. I was finished by about 2:00, and
            by 3:00 was enjoying a bottle of wine with my best friend ( also a science
            teacher) and commiserating over the question that I blew.
            I hope this helps - and if I can help with more specific questions, please
            let me know. Good luck to all of you!
            Jill