Re: [EASCI] Re: Process skill?

  • Annette Holder
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
      I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

      Annette

      Kristi <bateman_kristi@...> wrote:
      I know.  I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
      kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
      what I've got.  Tell me what you think, if you don't mind.  The tape
      is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
      obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything.  To try to
      make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
      comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
      already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
      the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
      had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
      crunchy cheeto.  I specifically designed the lesson so that there
      would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
      able to reach a valid conclusion.  The discussion was based around
      them coming to understand this (goal 2).  In the video, I set the
      stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
      themselves.  However, the person taping did not get the small groups
      on tape.  He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
      the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
      them their data.  We had put the data onto a group graph in
      PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
      We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
      and then their data with the rest of the class.  I had to do the
      discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
      At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
      lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
      a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control.  I am
      wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
      typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
      work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

      > Kristi,
      >   I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera
      comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most  part
      my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.   However,
      when they recognized the red light... you could hear very  little
      discussion between them.  So... with the time near an  end.... I am
      just taking one of them and analyzing it like  crazy!   I am just
      ready to get this box to the post office!!

      > Kristi <bateman_kristi@...> wrote:          But what exactly does
      that look like on tape? That is what I am
> [...]
      >   this.  I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
      >   fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction
      that
      >   made it onto the tape.  HELP!!
      >

      >   --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@>
      >   wrote:
      >   >
      >   > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about
      it...I
      >   also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them
      >   talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to
      me....that is
      >   about the topic.
      >   >
      >   > Annette Holder
      >   >
      >   > shazrolane <shazrolane@> wrote:     --- In
      >   EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
      >   >  >
      >   >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
      >   >  >
      >   >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
      >   engaged in
      >   >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
      >   questions,
      >   >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the
      correct
      >   >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.
      >   >
      >   >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
      >   anyone
      >   >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
      >   certified
      >   >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students
      talking to
      >   >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
      sound
      >   right
      >   >  to everyone?
      >   >
      >   >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
      rough
      >   draft)
      >   >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
      thoughts, if
      >   >  anyone wanted to.
      >   >
      >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
      yet
      >   this
      >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
      different
      >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
      >   faster
      >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
      velocity the
      >   >  longer they drop.
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >                                                      Secondary
      Graduate
      >   school  education                                        Home
      school

      education

      >            Graduate school education
      > online                                        High school
      >   education                                        Middle school

      education

      >   >
      >   > ---------------------------------
      >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
      >   >
      >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >   >
      >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
      of
      >   Service.
      >   >
      >   >
      >   > ---------------------------------
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >
      >   >
      >   > ---------------------------------
      >   >  Yahoo! Mail
      >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
      >   >

      >                                                         Secondary
      school education                                          Graduate
      school education                                          Home
      school
      education
                    Graduate school education
      online                                          High school
      education                                          Middle school
      education

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      >  Yahoo! Mail
      >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

    • Kristi
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
        Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
        partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
        again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
        just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
        the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
        reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
        > sound
        > > right
        > > > to everyone?
        > > >
        > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
        > rough
        > > draft)
        > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
        > thoughts, if
        > > > anyone wanted to.
        > > >
        > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
        do
        > yet
        > > this
        > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
        > different
        > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
        drop
        > > faster
        > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

        Secondary
        > > school education
        > Graduate
        > > school education Home
        > school

        education

        > > Graduate school education
        > > online High school
        > > education Middle school

        education

        > of
        > > Service.
        > > >

        > > > ---------------------------------
        > > >

        > > > ---------------------------------
        > > > Yahoo! Mail
        > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

        Secondary
        > school education Graduate
        > school education Home
        > school