Re: Process skill?

  • shazrolane
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
      > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

      I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
      change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
      have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
      with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
      questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
      class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
      group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
      write up
    • Annette Holder
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
        I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

        Annette

        Kristi <bateman_kristi@...> wrote:
        But what exactly does that look like on tape? That is what I am
        struggling with the most.  How do I get the camera to pick up the
        kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
        out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can hear
        the questions I am asking the kids?  I am really frustrated with
        this.  I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
        fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction that
        made it onto the tape.  HELP!!

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@...>
        wrote:

        > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
        also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
        talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
        about the topic.

        EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
        >  >
        >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
        >  >
        >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
        engaged in
        >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
        questions,
        >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
        >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

        >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
        anyone
        >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
        certified
        >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
        >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
        right
        >  to everyone?

        >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
        draft)
        >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
        >  anyone wanted to.

        >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
        this
        >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
        >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
        faster
        >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
        >  longer they drop.

        >                                                     Secondary
        school education                                       Graduate
        school education                                       Home school
        education
                 Graduate school education
        online                                       High school
        education                                       Middle school
        education

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

        > ---------------------------------
        >  Yahoo! Mail
        >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

      • Annette Holder
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
          I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

          Annette

          Kristi <bateman_kristi@...> wrote:
          I know.  I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
          kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
          what I've got.  Tell me what you think, if you don't mind.  The tape
          is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
          obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything.  To try to
          make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
          comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
          already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
          the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
          had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
          crunchy cheeto.  I specifically designed the lesson so that there
          would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
          able to reach a valid conclusion.  The discussion was based around
          them coming to understand this (goal 2).  In the video, I set the
          stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
          themselves.  However, the person taping did not get the small groups
          on tape.  He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
          the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
          them their data.  We had put the data onto a group graph in
          PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
          We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
          and then their data with the rest of the class.  I had to do the
          discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
          At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
          lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
          a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control.  I am
          wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
          typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
          work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

          > Kristi,
          >   I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera
          comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most  part
          my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.   However,
          when they recognized the red light... you could hear very  little
          discussion between them.  So... with the time near an  end.... I am
          just taking one of them and analyzing it like  crazy!   I am just
          ready to get this box to the post office!!

> [...]
          thoughts, if
          >   >  anyone wanted to.
          >   >
          >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
          yet
          >   this
          >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
          different
          >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
          >   faster
          >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
          velocity the
          >   >  longer they drop.
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >                                                      Secondary
          Graduate
          >   school  education                                        Home
          school

          education

          >            Graduate school education
          > online                                        High school
          >   education                                        Middle school

          education

          >   >
          >   > ---------------------------------
          >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
          >   >
          >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >   >
          >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
          of
          >   Service.
          >   >
          >   >
          >   > ---------------------------------
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   > ---------------------------------
          >   >  Yahoo! Mail
          >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
          >   >

          >                                                         Secondary
          school education                                          Graduate
          school education                                          Home
          school
          education
                        Graduate school education
          online                                          High school
          education                                          Middle school
          education

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          >  Yahoo! Mail
          >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

        • Kristi
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
            Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
            partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
            again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
            just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
            the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
            reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
            > sound
            > > right
            > > > to everyone?
            > > >
            > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
            > rough
            > > draft)
            > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
            > thoughts, if
            > > > anyone wanted to.
            > > >
            > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
            do
            > yet
            > > this
            > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
            > different
            > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
            drop
            > > faster
            > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

            Secondary
            > > school education
            > Graduate
            > > school education Home
            > school

            education

            > > Graduate school education
            > > online High school
            > > education Middle school

            education

            > of
            > > Service.
            > > >

            > > > ---------------------------------
            > > >

            > > > ---------------------------------
            > > > Yahoo! Mail
            > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

            Secondary
            > school education Graduate
            > school education Home
            > school