Re: Process skill?

  • Kristi
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3 10:02 AM
      I know. I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
      kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
      what I've got. Tell me what you think, if you don't mind. The tape
      is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
      obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything. To try to
      make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
      comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
      already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
      the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
      had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
      crunchy cheeto. I specifically designed the lesson so that there
      would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
      able to reach a valid conclusion. The discussion was based around
      them coming to understand this (goal 2). In the video, I set the
      stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
      themselves. However, the person taping did not get the small groups
      on tape. He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
      the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
      them their data. We had put the data onto a group graph in
      PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
      We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
      and then their data with the rest of the class. I had to do the
      discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
      At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
      lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
      a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control. I am
      wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
      typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
      work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

      > Kristi,
      > I feel your pain! My students just clam up when the camera
      comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs. For the most part
      my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks. However,
      when they recognized the red light... you could hear very little
      discussion between them. So... with the time near an end.... I am
      just taking one of them and analyzing it like crazy! I am just
      ready to get this box to the post office!!

      > Kristi <bateman_kristi@...> wrote: But what exactly does
      that look like on tape? That is what I am
      > struggling with the most. How do I get the camera to pick up
      the
      > kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
      > out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can
      hear
      > the questions I am asking the kids? I am really frustrated with
      > this. I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
      > fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction
      that
      > made it onto the tape. HELP!!
      >

      > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about
      it...I
      > also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them
      > talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to
      me....that is
      > about the topic.
      > >
      > > Annette Holder
      > >
      > > shazrolane <shazrolane@> wrote: --- In
      > EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
      > > >
      > > I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
      > engaged in
      > > enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
      > questions,
      > > and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the
      correct
      > > answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.
      > >
      > > I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
      > anyone
      > > to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
      > certified
      > > but they all assure me that I need to have the students
      talking to
      > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
      sound
      > right
      > > to everyone?
      > >
      > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
      rough
      > draft)
      > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
      thoughts, if
      > > anyone wanted to.
      > >
      > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
      yet
      > this
      > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
      different
      > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
      > faster
      > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
      velocity the
      > > longer they drop.

      > > Secondary
      > school education
      Graduate
      > school education Home
      school

      education

      > Graduate school education
      > online High school
      > education Middle school

      education

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
      of
      > Service.
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Yahoo! Mail
      > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

      > Secondary
      school education Graduate
      school education Home
      school
      education
      Graduate school education
      online High school
      education Middle school
      education

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Mail

    • LaDonna Mangum
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4 6:09 AM
        I had the same problem with my whole group.  I discussed in my write up that since I teach in semesters I had only had this group of students for two weeks and that they were not accostomed to whole group discussions.  I have always heard the video is big but not as big as the write up.  Good Luck!

> [...]

        thoughts, if
        >   >  anyone wanted to.
        >   >
        >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
        yet
        >   this
        >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
        different
        >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
        >   faster
        >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
        velocity the
        >   >  longer they drop.
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >                                                      Secondary
        Graduate
        >   school  education                                        Home
        school

        education

        >            Graduate school education
        > online                                        High school
        >   education                                        Middle school

        education

        >   >
        >   > ---------------------------------
        >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
        >   >
        >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >   >
        >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
        of
        >   Service.
        >   >
        >   >
        >   > ---------------------------------
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >
        >   >
        >   > ---------------------------------
        >   >  Yahoo! Mail
        >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
        >   >

        >                                                         Secondary
        school education                                          Graduate
        school education                                          Home
        school
        education
                      Graduate school education
        online                                          High school
        education                                          Middle school
        education

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        >  Yahoo! Mail
        >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

        " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

        Yahoo! Mail

      • shazrolane
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4 7:25 AM
          > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

          I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
          change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
          have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
          with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
          questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
          class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
          group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
          write up
        • Annette Holder
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5 1:14 PM
            I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

            Annette

            wrote:

            > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
            also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5 1:17 PM
              I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

              Annette

> [...]

              thoughts, if
              >   >  anyone wanted to.
              >   >
              >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
              yet
              >   this
              >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
              different
              >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
              >   faster
              >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
              velocity the
              >   >  longer they drop.
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >                                                      Secondary
              Graduate
              >   school  education                                        Home
              school

              education

              >            Graduate school education
              > online                                        High school
              >   education                                        Middle school

              education

              >   >
              >   > ---------------------------------
              >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
              >   >
              >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >   >
              >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
              of
              >   Service.
              >   >
              >   >
              >   > ---------------------------------
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   > ---------------------------------
              >   >  Yahoo! Mail
              >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
              >   >

              >                                                         Secondary
              school education                                          Graduate
              school education                                          Home
              school
              education
                            Graduate school education
              online                                          High school
              education                                          Middle school
              education

              Service.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5 8:44 PM
                Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
                partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
                again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
                just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
                the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
                reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                > sound
                > > right
                > > > to everyone?
                > > >
                > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                > rough
                > > draft)
                > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                > thoughts, if
                > > > anyone wanted to.
                > > >
                > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
                do
                > yet
                > > this
                > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                > different
                > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
                drop
                > > faster
                > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                Secondary
                > > school education
                > Graduate
                > > school education Home
                > school

                education

                > > Graduate school education
                > > online High school
                > > education Middle school

                education

                > of
                > > Service.
                > > >

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > >

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > > Yahoo! Mail
                > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                Secondary
                > school education Graduate
                > school education Home
                > school