Re: [EASCI] Re: Process skill?

  • Tammy Shelley
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
      Kristi,
      I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most part my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.  However, when they recognized the red light... you could hear very little discussion between them.  So... with the time near an end.... I am just taking one of them and analyzing it like crazy!   I am just ready to get this box to the post office!!

      Kristi <bateman_kristi@...> wrote:
      But what exactly does that look like on tape? That is what I am
      struggling with the most.  How do I get the camera to pick up the
      kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
      out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can hear
      the questions I am asking the kids?  I am really frustrated with
      this.  I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
      fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction that
      made it onto the tape.  HELP!!

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@...>
      wrote:

      > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
      also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
      talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
      about the topic.

      EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
      >  >
      >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
      >  >
      >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
      engaged in
      >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
      questions,
      >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
      >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

      >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
      anyone
      >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
      certified
      >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
      >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
      right
      >  to everyone?

      >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
      draft)
      >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
      >  anyone wanted to.

      >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
      this
      >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
      >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
      faster
      >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
      >  longer they drop.

      >                                                     Secondary
      school education                                       Graduate
      school education                                       Home school
      education
               Graduate school education
      online                                       High school
      education                                       Middle school
      education

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

      > ---------------------------------
      >  Yahoo! Mail
      >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Kristi
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
        I know. I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
        kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
        what I've got. Tell me what you think, if you don't mind. The tape
        is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
        obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything. To try to
        make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
        comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
        already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
        the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
        had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
        crunchy cheeto. I specifically designed the lesson so that there
        would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
        able to reach a valid conclusion. The discussion was based around
        them coming to understand this (goal 2). In the video, I set the
        stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
        themselves. However, the person taping did not get the small groups
        on tape. He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
        the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
        them their data. We had put the data onto a group graph in
        PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
        We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
        and then their data with the rest of the class. I had to do the
        discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
        At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
        lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
        a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control. I am
        wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
        typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
        work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

> [...]
        talking to
        > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
        sound
        > right
        > > to everyone?
        > >
        > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
        rough
        > draft)
        > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
        thoughts, if
        > > anyone wanted to.
        > >
        > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
        yet
        > this
        > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
        different
        > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
        > faster
        > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

        Graduate
        > school education Home
        school

        education

        > Graduate school education
        > online High school
        > education Middle school

        education

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
        of
        > Service.
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > > Yahoo! Mail
        > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

        > Secondary
        school education Graduate
        school education Home
        school
        education
        Graduate school education
        online High school
        education Middle school
        education

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail

      • LaDonna Mangum
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
          I had the same problem with my whole group.  I discussed in my write up that since I teach in semesters I had only had this group of students for two weeks and that they were not accostomed to whole group discussions.  I have always heard the video is big but not as big as the write up.  Good Luck!

> [...]

          thoughts, if
          >   >  anyone wanted to.
          >   >
          >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
          yet
          >   this
          >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
          different
          >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
          >   faster
          >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
          velocity the
          >   >  longer they drop.
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >                                                      Secondary
          Graduate
          >   school  education                                        Home
          school

          education

          >            Graduate school education
          > online                                        High school
          >   education                                        Middle school

          education

          >   >
          >   > ---------------------------------
          >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
          >   >
          >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >   >
          >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
          of
          >   Service.
          >   >
          >   >
          >   > ---------------------------------
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   >
          >   > ---------------------------------
          >   >  Yahoo! Mail
          >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
          >   >

          >                                                         Secondary
          school education                                          Graduate
          school education                                          Home
          school
          education
                        Graduate school education
          online                                          High school
          education                                          Middle school
          education

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          >  Yahoo! Mail
          >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

          " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

          Yahoo! Mail

        • shazrolane
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
            > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

            I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
            change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
            have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
            with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
            questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
            class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
            group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
            write up
          • Annette Holder
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
              I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

              Annette

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

                Annette

> [...]

                thoughts, if
                >   >  anyone wanted to.
                >   >
                >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                yet
                >   this
                >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                different
                >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                >   faster
                >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                velocity the
                >   >  longer they drop.
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >                                                      Secondary
                Graduate
                >   school  education                                        Home
                school

                education

                >            Graduate school education
                > online                                        High school
                >   education                                        Middle school

                education

                >   >
                >   > ---------------------------------
                >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                >   >
                >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                >   >
                >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                of
                >   Service.
                >   >
                >   >
                >   > ---------------------------------
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   > ---------------------------------
                >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                >   >

                >                                                         Secondary
                school education                                          Graduate
                school education                                          Home
                school
                education
                              Graduate school education
                online                                          High school
                education                                          Middle school
                education

                Service.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
                  partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
                  again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
                  just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
                  the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
                  reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                  > sound
                  > > right
                  > > > to everyone?
                  > > >
                  > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                  > rough
                  > > draft)
                  > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                  > thoughts, if
                  > > > anyone wanted to.
                  > > >
                  > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
                  do
                  > yet
                  > > this
                  > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                  > different
                  > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
                  drop
                  > > faster
                  > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                  Secondary
                  > > school education
                  > Graduate
                  > > school education Home
                  > school

                  education

                  > > Graduate school education
                  > > online High school
                  > > education Middle school

                  education

                  > of
                  > > Service.
                  > > >

                  > > > ---------------------------------
                  > > >

                  > > > ---------------------------------
                  > > > Yahoo! Mail
                  > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                  Secondary
                  > school education Graduate
                  > school education Home
                  > school