Re: [EASCI] Re: Process skill?

  • Annette Holder
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
      I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is about the topic.

      Annette Holder

      shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:
      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

      > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

      I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are engaged in
      enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of questions,
      and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
      answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

      I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have anyone
      to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary certified
      but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
      each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound right
      to everyone?

      I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough draft)
      so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
      anyone wanted to.

      I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet this
      year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
      heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop faster
      than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
      longer they drop.

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Kristi
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
        But what exactly does that look like on tape? That is what I am
        struggling with the most. How do I get the camera to pick up the
        kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
        out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can hear
        the questions I am asking the kids? I am really frustrated with
        this. I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
        fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction that
        made it onto the tape. HELP!!

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@...>
        wrote:

        > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
        also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
        talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
        about the topic.

        > Annette Holder
        >
        > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote: --- In
        EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:

        > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
        > >
        > I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
        engaged in
        > enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
        questions,
        > and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
        > answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.
        >
        > I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
        anyone
        > to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
        certified
        > but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
        > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
        right
        > to everyone?
        >
        > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
        draft)
        > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
        > anyone wanted to.
        >
        > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
        this
        > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
        > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
        faster
        > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
        > longer they drop.

        > Secondary
        school education Graduate
        school education Home school
        education
        Graduate school education
        online High school
        education Middle school
        education

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail

      • Tammy Shelley
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
          Kristi,
          I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most part my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.  However, when they recognized the red light... you could hear very little discussion between them.  So... with the time near an end.... I am just taking one of them and analyzing it like crazy!   I am just ready to get this box to the post office!!

          wrote:

          > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
          also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
          talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
          about the topic.

          > Annette Holder
          >
          > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:     --- In
          EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
          >  >
          >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
          >  >
          >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
          engaged in
          >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
          questions,
          >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
          >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

          >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
          anyone
          >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
          certified
          >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
          >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
          right
          >  to everyone?

          >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
          draft)
          >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
          >  anyone wanted to.

          >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
          this
          >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
          >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
          faster
          >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
          >  longer they drop.

          >                                                     Secondary
          school education                                       Graduate
          school education                                       Home school
          education
                   Graduate school education
          online                                       High school
          education                                       Middle school
          education

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

          > ---------------------------------
          >  Yahoo! Mail
          >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

          Yahoo! Mail

        • Kristi
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
            I know. I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
            kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
            what I've got. Tell me what you think, if you don't mind. The tape
            is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
            obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything. To try to
            make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
            comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
            already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
            the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
            had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
            crunchy cheeto. I specifically designed the lesson so that there
            would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
            able to reach a valid conclusion. The discussion was based around
            them coming to understand this (goal 2). In the video, I set the
            stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
            themselves. However, the person taping did not get the small groups
            on tape. He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
            the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
            them their data. We had put the data onto a group graph in
            PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
            We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
            and then their data with the rest of the class. I had to do the
            discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
            At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
            lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
            a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control. I am
            wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
            typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
            work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

> [...]
            talking to
            > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
            sound
            > right
            > > to everyone?
            > >
            > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
            rough
            > draft)
            > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
            thoughts, if
            > > anyone wanted to.
            > >
            > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
            yet
            > this
            > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
            different
            > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
            > faster
            > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

            Graduate
            > school education Home
            school

            education

            > Graduate school education
            > online High school
            > education Middle school

            education

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
            of
            > Service.
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > > Yahoo! Mail
            > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

            > Secondary
            school education Graduate
            school education Home
            school
            education
            Graduate school education
            online High school
            education Middle school
            education

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Mail

          • LaDonna Mangum
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
              I had the same problem with my whole group.  I discussed in my write up that since I teach in semesters I had only had this group of students for two weeks and that they were not accostomed to whole group discussions.  I have always heard the video is big but not as big as the write up.  Good Luck!

> [...]

              thoughts, if
              >   >  anyone wanted to.
              >   >
              >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
              yet
              >   this
              >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
              different
              >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
              >   faster
              >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
              velocity the
              >   >  longer they drop.
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >                                                      Secondary
              Graduate
              >   school  education                                        Home
              school

              education

              >            Graduate school education
              > online                                        High school
              >   education                                        Middle school

              education

              >   >
              >   > ---------------------------------
              >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
              >   >
              >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >   >
              >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
              of
              >   Service.
              >   >
              >   >
              >   > ---------------------------------
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   > ---------------------------------
              >   >  Yahoo! Mail
              >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
              >   >

              >                                                         Secondary
              school education                                          Graduate
              school education                                          Home
              school
              education
                            Graduate school education
              online                                          High school
              education                                          Middle school
              education

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >  Yahoo! Mail
              >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

              " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

              Yahoo! Mail

            • shazrolane
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

                I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
                change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
                have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
                with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
                questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
                class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
                group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
                write up
              • Annette Holder
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                  I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

                  Annette

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                    I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

                    Annette

> [...]

                    thoughts, if
                    >   >  anyone wanted to.
                    >   >
                    >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                    yet
                    >   this
                    >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                    different
                    >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                    >   faster
                    >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                    velocity the
                    >   >  longer they drop.
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >                                                      Secondary
                    Graduate
                    >   school  education                                        Home
                    school

                    education

                    >            Graduate school education
                    > online                                        High school
                    >   education                                        Middle school

                    education

                    >   >
                    >   > ---------------------------------
                    >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                    >   >
                    >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    >   >
                    >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                    of
                    >   Service.
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   > ---------------------------------
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   > ---------------------------------
                    >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                    >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                    >   >

                    >                                                         Secondary
                    school education                                          Graduate
                    school education                                          Home
                    school
                    education
                                  Graduate school education
                    online                                          High school
                    education                                          Middle school
                    education

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                      Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
                      partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
                      again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
                      just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
                      the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
                      reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                      > sound
                      > > right
                      > > > to everyone?
                      > > >
                      > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                      > rough
                      > > draft)
                      > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                      > thoughts, if
                      > > > anyone wanted to.
                      > > >
                      > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
                      do
                      > yet
                      > > this
                      > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                      > different
                      > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
                      drop
                      > > faster
                      > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                      Secondary
                      > > school education
                      > Graduate
                      > > school education Home
                      > school

                      education

                      > > Graduate school education
                      > > online High school
                      > > education Middle school

                      education

                      > of
                      > > Service.
                      > > >

                      > > > ---------------------------------
                      > > >

                      > > > ---------------------------------
                      > > > Yahoo! Mail
                      > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                      Secondary
                      > school education Graduate
                      > school education Home
                      > school