Re: [EASCI] Process skill?

  • Annette Holder
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
      I believe a process skill might be measuring or observing or classifying.  My Entry 1, was developing students understanding of matter.  How various solids have different molecular structures...ie. ice and butter.  The technology part the students collected data as ice was heated to boiling and graphed this data then compared their data with that collected using a CBL programmed to collect data every 30 seconds for 50 minutes.

      Annette Holder, NBCT-2004

      shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:
      What exactly is a "process skill"?  The full question reads What
      process skill or skills did you select to support student learning of
      the concept? Why are they appropriate and relevent for the teaching of
      this concept? How will the development of these process skills support
      students' learning of science more generally?

      I am so lost and confused on Entry 1. I have Entries 2 and 4 finished,
      and just figured out this morning that I have to completely redo Entry 3.

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Annette Holder
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
        I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is about the topic.

        Annette Holder

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

        > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

        I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are engaged in
        enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of questions,
        and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
        answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

        I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have anyone
        to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary certified
        but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
        each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound right
        to everyone?

        I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough draft)
        so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
        anyone wanted to.

        I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet this
        year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
        heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop faster
        than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
        longer they drop.

        Yahoo! Mail

      • Kristi
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
          But what exactly does that look like on tape? That is what I am
          struggling with the most. How do I get the camera to pick up the
          kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
          out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can hear
          the questions I am asking the kids? I am really frustrated with
          this. I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
          fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction that
          made it onto the tape. HELP!!

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@...>
          wrote:

          > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
          also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
          talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
          about the topic.

          > Annette Holder
          >
          > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote: --- In
          EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:

          > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
          > >
          > I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
          engaged in
          > enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
          questions,
          > and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
          > answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.
          >
          > I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
          anyone
          > to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
          certified
          > but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
          > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
          right
          > to everyone?
          >
          > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
          draft)
          > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
          > anyone wanted to.
          >
          > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
          this
          > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
          > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
          faster
          > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
          > longer they drop.

          > Secondary
          school education Graduate
          school education Home school
          education
          Graduate school education
          online High school
          education Middle school
          education

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Mail

        • Tammy Shelley
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
            Kristi,
            I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most part my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.  However, when they recognized the red light... you could hear very little discussion between them.  So... with the time near an end.... I am just taking one of them and analyzing it like crazy!   I am just ready to get this box to the post office!!

            wrote:

            > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
            also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
            talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
            about the topic.

            > Annette Holder
            >
            > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:     --- In
            EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
            >  >
            >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
            >  >
            >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
            engaged in
            >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
            questions,
            >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
            >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

            >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
            anyone
            >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
            certified
            >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
            >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
            right
            >  to everyone?

            >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
            draft)
            >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
            >  anyone wanted to.

            >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
            this
            >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
            >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
            faster
            >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
            >  longer they drop.

            >                                                     Secondary
            school education                                       Graduate
            school education                                       Home school
            education
                     Graduate school education
            online                                       High school
            education                                       Middle school
            education

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

            > ---------------------------------
            >  Yahoo! Mail
            >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

            Yahoo! Mail

          • Kristi
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
              I know. I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
              kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
              what I've got. Tell me what you think, if you don't mind. The tape
              is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
              obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything. To try to
              make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
              comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
              already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
              the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
              had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
              crunchy cheeto. I specifically designed the lesson so that there
              would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
              able to reach a valid conclusion. The discussion was based around
              them coming to understand this (goal 2). In the video, I set the
              stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
              themselves. However, the person taping did not get the small groups
              on tape. He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
              the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
              them their data. We had put the data onto a group graph in
              PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
              We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
              and then their data with the rest of the class. I had to do the
              discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
              At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
              lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
              a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control. I am
              wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
              typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
              work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

> [...]
              talking to
              > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
              sound
              > right
              > > to everyone?
              > >
              > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
              rough
              > draft)
              > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
              thoughts, if
              > > anyone wanted to.
              > >
              > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
              yet
              > this
              > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
              different
              > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
              > faster
              > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

              Graduate
              > school education Home
              school

              education

              > Graduate school education
              > online High school
              > education Middle school

              education

              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
              of
              > Service.
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > > Yahoo! Mail
              > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

              > Secondary
              school education Graduate
              school education Home
              school
              education
              Graduate school education
              online High school
              education Middle school
              education

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Mail

            • LaDonna Mangum
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                I had the same problem with my whole group.  I discussed in my write up that since I teach in semesters I had only had this group of students for two weeks and that they were not accostomed to whole group discussions.  I have always heard the video is big but not as big as the write up.  Good Luck!

> [...]

                thoughts, if
                >   >  anyone wanted to.
                >   >
                >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                yet
                >   this
                >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                different
                >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                >   faster
                >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                velocity the
                >   >  longer they drop.
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >                                                      Secondary
                Graduate
                >   school  education                                        Home
                school

                education

                >            Graduate school education
                > online                                        High school
                >   education                                        Middle school

                education

                >   >
                >   > ---------------------------------
                >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                >   >
                >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                >   >
                >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                of
                >   Service.
                >   >
                >   >
                >   > ---------------------------------
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   > ---------------------------------
                >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                >   >

                >                                                         Secondary
                school education                                          Graduate
                school education                                          Home
                school
                education
                              Graduate school education
                online                                          High school
                education                                          Middle school
                education

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                >  Yahoo! Mail
                >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

                Yahoo! Mail

              • shazrolane
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                  > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

                  I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
                  change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
                  have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
                  with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
                  questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
                  class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
                  group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
                  write up
                • Annette Holder
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                    I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

                    Annette

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                      I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

                      Annette

> [...]

                      thoughts, if
                      >   >  anyone wanted to.
                      >   >
                      >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                      yet
                      >   this
                      >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                      different
                      >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                      >   faster
                      >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                      velocity the
                      >   >  longer they drop.
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >                                                      Secondary
                      Graduate
                      >   school  education                                        Home
                      school

                      education

                      >            Graduate school education
                      > online                                        High school
                      >   education                                        Middle school

                      education

                      >   >
                      >   > ---------------------------------
                      >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                      >   >
                      >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      >   >
                      >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                      of
                      >   Service.
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   > ---------------------------------
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   > ---------------------------------
                      >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                      >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                      >   >

                      >                                                         Secondary
                      school education                                          Graduate
                      school education                                          Home
                      school
                      education
                                    Graduate school education
                      online                                          High school
                      education                                          Middle school
                      education

                      Service.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                        Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
                        partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
                        again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
                        just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
                        the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
                        reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                        > sound
                        > > right
                        > > > to everyone?
                        > > >
                        > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                        > rough
                        > > draft)
                        > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                        > thoughts, if
                        > > > anyone wanted to.
                        > > >
                        > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
                        do
                        > yet
                        > > this
                        > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                        > different
                        > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
                        drop
                        > > faster
                        > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                        Secondary
                        > > school education
                        > Graduate
                        > > school education Home
                        > school

                        education

                        > > Graduate school education
                        > > online High school
                        > > education Middle school

                        education

                        > of
                        > > Service.
                        > > >

                        > > > ---------------------------------
                        > > >

                        > > > ---------------------------------
                        > > > Yahoo! Mail
                        > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                        Secondary
                        > school education Graduate
                        > school education Home
                        > school