Re: [EASCI] Process skill?

  • Tammy Shelley
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
      Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

      shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:
      What exactly is a "process skill"?  The full question reads What
      process skill or skills did you select to support student learning of
      the concept? Why are they appropriate and relevent for the teaching of
      this concept? How will the development of these process skills support
      students' learning of science more generally?

      I am so lost and confused on Entry 1. I have Entries 2 and 4 finished,
      and just figured out this morning that I have to completely redo Entry 3.

      Yahoo! Mail

    • shazrolane
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

        > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

        I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are engaged in
        enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of questions,
        and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
        answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

        I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have anyone
        to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary certified
        but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
        each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound right
        to everyone?

        I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough draft)
        so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
        anyone wanted to.

        I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet this
        year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
        heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop faster
        than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
        longer they drop.
      • shazrolane
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Peg Brody <PegBrody@...> wrote:

          > Process skills are things like hypothesizing, classifying,
          observation and inferring.....

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Oh bless you for this answer. I have been agonizing over this. Thank you!
        • Annette Holder

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
              I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is about the topic.

              Annette Holder

              shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:
              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

              > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

              I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are engaged in
              enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of questions,
              and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
              answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

              I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have anyone
              to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary certified
              but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
              each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound right
              to everyone?

              I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough draft)
              so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
              anyone wanted to.

              I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet this
              year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
              heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop faster
              than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
              longer they drop.

              Yahoo! Mail

            • Kristi
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
                But what exactly does that look like on tape? That is what I am
                struggling with the most. How do I get the camera to pick up the
                kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
                out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can hear
                the questions I am asking the kids? I am really frustrated with
                this. I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
                fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction that
                made it onto the tape. HELP!!

                --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@...>
                wrote:

                > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
                also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
                talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
                about the topic.

                > Annette Holder
                >
                > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote: --- In
                EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:

                > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
                > >
                > I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
                engaged in
                > enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
                questions,
                > and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
                > answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.
                >
                > I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
                anyone
                > to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
                certified
                > but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
                > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
                right
                > to everyone?
                >
                > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
                draft)
                > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
                > anyone wanted to.
                >
                > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
                this
                > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
                > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                faster
                > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
                > longer they drop.

                > Secondary
                school education Graduate
                school education Home school
                education
                Graduate school education
                online High school
                education Middle school
                education

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Yahoo! Mail

              • Tammy Shelley
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Kristi,
                  I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most part my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.  However, when they recognized the red light... you could hear very little discussion between them.  So... with the time near an end.... I am just taking one of them and analyzing it like crazy!   I am just ready to get this box to the post office!!

                  wrote:

                  > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
                  also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
                  talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
                  about the topic.

                  > Annette Holder
                  >
                  > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:     --- In
                  EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
                  >  >
                  >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
                  >  >
                  >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
                  engaged in
                  >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
                  questions,
                  >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
                  >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

                  >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
                  anyone
                  >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
                  certified
                  >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
                  >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
                  right
                  >  to everyone?

                  >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
                  draft)
                  >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
                  >  anyone wanted to.

                  >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
                  this
                  >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
                  >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                  faster
                  >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
                  >  longer they drop.

                  >                                                     Secondary
                  school education                                       Graduate
                  school education                                       Home school
                  education
                           Graduate school education
                  online                                       High school
                  education                                       Middle school
                  education

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >  Yahoo! Mail
                  >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                  Yahoo! Mail

                • Kristi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
                    I know. I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
                    kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
                    what I've got. Tell me what you think, if you don't mind. The tape
                    is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
                    obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything. To try to
                    make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
                    comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
                    already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
                    the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
                    had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
                    crunchy cheeto. I specifically designed the lesson so that there
                    would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
                    able to reach a valid conclusion. The discussion was based around
                    them coming to understand this (goal 2). In the video, I set the
                    stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
                    themselves. However, the person taping did not get the small groups
                    on tape. He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
                    the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
                    them their data. We had put the data onto a group graph in
                    PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
                    We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
                    and then their data with the rest of the class. I had to do the
                    discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
                    At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
                    lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
                    a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control. I am
                    wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
                    typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
                    work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

> [...]
                    talking to
                    > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                    sound
                    > right
                    > > to everyone?
                    > >
                    > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                    rough
                    > draft)
                    > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                    thoughts, if
                    > > anyone wanted to.
                    > >
                    > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                    yet
                    > this
                    > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                    different
                    > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                    > faster
                    > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                    Graduate
                    > school education Home
                    school

                    education

                    > Graduate school education
                    > online High school
                    > education Middle school

                    education

                    > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                    of
                    > Service.
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > > Yahoo! Mail
                    > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                    > Secondary
                    school education Graduate
                    school education Home
                    school
                    education
                    Graduate school education
                    online High school
                    education Middle school
                    education

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > Yahoo! Mail

                  • LaDonna Mangum
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                      I had the same problem with my whole group.  I discussed in my write up that since I teach in semesters I had only had this group of students for two weeks and that they were not accostomed to whole group discussions.  I have always heard the video is big but not as big as the write up.  Good Luck!

> [...]

                      thoughts, if
                      >   >  anyone wanted to.
                      >   >
                      >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                      yet
                      >   this
                      >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                      different
                      >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                      >   faster
                      >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                      velocity the
                      >   >  longer they drop.
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >                                                      Secondary
                      Graduate
                      >   school  education                                        Home
                      school

                      education

                      >            Graduate school education
                      > online                                        High school
                      >   education                                        Middle school

                      education

                      >   >
                      >   > ---------------------------------
                      >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                      >   >
                      >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      >   >
                      >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                      of
                      >   Service.
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   > ---------------------------------
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   >
                      >   > ---------------------------------
                      >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                      >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                      >   >

                      >                                                         Secondary
                      school education                                          Graduate
                      school education                                          Home
                      school
                      education
                                    Graduate school education
                      online                                          High school
                      education                                          Middle school
                      education

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >  Yahoo! Mail
                      >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                      " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

                      Yahoo! Mail

                    • shazrolane
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                        > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

                        I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
                        change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
                        have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
                        with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
                        questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
                        class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
                        group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
                        write up
                      • Annette Holder
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                          I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

                          Annette

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                            I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

                            Annette

> [...]

                            thoughts, if
                            >   >  anyone wanted to.
                            >   >
                            >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                            yet
                            >   this
                            >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                            different
                            >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                            >   faster
                            >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                            velocity the
                            >   >  longer they drop.
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >                                                      Secondary
                            Graduate
                            >   school  education                                        Home
                            school

                            education

                            >            Graduate school education
                            > online                                        High school
                            >   education                                        Middle school

                            education

                            >   >
                            >   > ---------------------------------
                            >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                            >   >
                            >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                            >   >
                            >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                            of
                            >   Service.
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   > ---------------------------------
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   >
                            >   > ---------------------------------
                            >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                            >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                            >   >

                            >                                                         Secondary
                            school education                                          Graduate
                            school education                                          Home
                            school
                            education
                                          Graduate school education
                            online                                          High school
                            education                                          Middle school
                            education

                            Service.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                              Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
                              partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
                              again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
                              just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
                              the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
                              reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                              > sound
                              > > right
                              > > > to everyone?
                              > > >
                              > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                              > rough
                              > > draft)
                              > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                              > thoughts, if
                              > > > anyone wanted to.
                              > > >
                              > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
                              do
                              > yet
                              > > this
                              > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                              > different
                              > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
                              drop
                              > > faster
                              > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                              Secondary
                              > > school education
                              > Graduate
                              > > school education Home
                              > school

                              education

                              > > Graduate school education
                              > > online High school
                              > > education Middle school

                              education

                              > of
                              > > Service.
                              > > >

                              > > > ---------------------------------
                              > > >

                              > > > ---------------------------------
                              > > > Yahoo! Mail
                              > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                              Secondary
                              > school education Graduate
                              > school education Home
                              > school