Process skill?

  • shazrolane
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
      What exactly is a "process skill"? The full question reads What
      process skill or skills did you select to support student learning of
      the concept? Why are they appropriate and relevent for the teaching of
      this concept? How will the development of these process skills support
      students' learning of science more generally?

      I am so lost and confused on Entry 1. I have Entries 2 and 4 finished,
      and just figured out this morning that I have to completely redo Entry 3.
    • Peg Brody
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
        Process skills are things like hypothesizing, classifying, observation and
        inferring.....
      • Tammy Shelley
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
          Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

          shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:
          What exactly is a "process skill"?  The full question reads What
          process skill or skills did you select to support student learning of
          the concept? Why are they appropriate and relevent for the teaching of
          this concept? How will the development of these process skills support
          students' learning of science more generally?

          I am so lost and confused on Entry 1. I have Entries 2 and 4 finished,
          and just figured out this morning that I have to completely redo Entry 3.

          Yahoo! Mail

        • shazrolane
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

            > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

            I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are engaged in
            enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of questions,
            and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
            answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

            I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have anyone
            to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary certified
            but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
            each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound right
            to everyone?

            I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough draft)
            so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
            anyone wanted to.

            I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet this
            year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
            heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop faster
            than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
            longer they drop.
          • shazrolane
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Peg Brody <PegBrody@...> wrote:

              > Process skills are things like hypothesizing, classifying,
              observation and inferring.....

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Oh bless you for this answer. I have been agonizing over this. Thank you!
            • Annette Holder

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
                  I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is about the topic.

                  Annette Holder

                  shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:
                  --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

                  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

                  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are engaged in
                  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of questions,
                  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
                  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

                  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have anyone
                  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary certified
                  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
                  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound right
                  to everyone?

                  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough draft)
                  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
                  anyone wanted to.

                  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet this
                  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
                  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop faster
                  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
                  longer they drop.

                  Yahoo! Mail

                • Kristi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2006
                    But what exactly does that look like on tape? That is what I am
                    struggling with the most. How do I get the camera to pick up the
                    kids talking to each other so that the conversations can be made
                    out, but still have me moving about the room so that you can hear
                    the questions I am asking the kids? I am really frustrated with
                    this. I have taped this entry so many times, and have some
                    fantastic stuff, but not enough student-to-student interaction that
                    made it onto the tape. HELP!!

                    --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Annette Holder <arholder2003@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
                    also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
                    talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
                    about the topic.

                    > Annette Holder
                    >
                    > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote: --- In
                    EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:

                    > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
                    > >
                    > I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
                    engaged in
                    > enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
                    questions,
                    > and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
                    > answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.
                    >
                    > I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
                    anyone
                    > to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
                    certified
                    > but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
                    > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
                    right
                    > to everyone?
                    >
                    > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
                    draft)
                    > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
                    > anyone wanted to.
                    >
                    > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
                    this
                    > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
                    > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                    faster
                    > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
                    > longer they drop.

                    > Secondary
                    school education Graduate
                    school education Home school
                    education
                    Graduate school education
                    online High school
                    education Middle school
                    education

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > Yahoo! Mail

                  • Tammy Shelley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
                      Kristi,
                      I feel your pain!   My students just clam up when the camera comes on... even after LOTS of practice runs.   For the most part my camera sat in the room and ran off and on for weeks.  However, when they recognized the red light... you could hear very little discussion between them.  So... with the time near an end.... I am just taking one of them and analyzing it like crazy!   I am just ready to get this box to the post office!!

                      wrote:

                      > I do that lab with my students and they talk a lot about it...I
                      also was able to tell my kids that in this entry I wanted them to
                      talk to each other as much as I wanted them to talk to me....that is
                      about the topic.

                      > Annette Holder
                      >
                      > shazrolane <shazrolane@...> wrote:     --- In
                      EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@> wrote:
                      >  >
                      >  > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?
                      >  >
                      >  I just don't feel at all comfortable that the students are
                      engaged in
                      >  enough inquiry discussion. I have them asking me plenty of
                      questions,
                      >  and I in turn asked questions to lead them to find out the correct
                      >  answers, but almost none of them talked to each other.

                      >  I don't have any science mentors in my county so I don't have
                      anyone
                      >  to ask in person. All of my mentors right now are elementary
                      certified
                      >  but they all assure me that I need to have the students talking to
                      >  each other and asking questions of each other. Does that sound
                      right
                      >  to everyone?

                      >  I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a rough
                      draft)
                      >  so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my thoughts, if
                      >  anyone wanted to.

                      >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do yet
                      this
                      >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4 different
                      >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                      faster
                      >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in velocity the
                      >  longer they drop.

                      >                                                     Secondary
                      school education                                       Graduate
                      school education                                       Home school
                      education
                               Graduate school education
                      online                                       High school
                      education                                       Middle school
                      education

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >  Yahoo! Mail
                      >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                      Yahoo! Mail

                    • Kristi
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2006
                        I know. I just don't know how I can redo it, especially when my
                        kids are just working on the last assignment for #1. So, here is
                        what I've got. Tell me what you think, if you don't mind. The tape
                        is of my low class(like 2-4 years below grade level) the kids, for
                        obvious reasons are really unmotivated to do anything. To try to
                        make the inquiry process interesting, so they would become
                        comfortable with it (goal 1) I had them extend a lab they had
                        already done as part of the curriculum in which they were to find
                        the calorie content of a single puff ball cheeto. In this one, they
                        had to compare the calorie count of a puff ball and a regular,
                        crunchy cheeto. I specifically designed the lesson so that there
                        would be no control over the size of the cheeots, so we would not be
                        able to reach a valid conclusion. The discussion was based around
                        them coming to understand this (goal 2). In the video, I set the
                        stage for the discussion, then let the small groups discuss amongst
                        themselves. However, the person taping did not get the small groups
                        on tape. He got me moving from group to group talking to each of
                        the groups a little then I go from group to group to discuss with
                        them their data. We had put the data onto a group graph in
                        PowerPoint, so it was visible through the presenter, on the screen.
                        We talked about why there was a difference between their two cheeots
                        and then their data with the rest of the class. I had to do the
                        discussion this way because of their lack of motivation and skills.
                        At the end of the tape, we have a whole-group discussion about the
                        lack of control in the size of the cheeto, and how we cannot come to
                        a definate conclusion becasue we didn't have that control. I am
                        wondering if I write up the analysis stating how this class does not
                        typically discuss much, and their lack of motivation, will that
                        work, do you think? Sorry about the lengthy posting.

> [...]
                        talking to
                        > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                        sound
                        > right
                        > > to everyone?
                        > >
                        > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                        rough
                        > draft)
                        > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                        thoughts, if
                        > > anyone wanted to.
                        > >
                        > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                        yet
                        > this
                        > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                        different
                        > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                        > faster
                        > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                        Graduate
                        > school education Home
                        school

                        education

                        > Graduate school education
                        > online High school
                        > education Middle school

                        education

                        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                        of
                        > Service.
                        > >

                        > > ---------------------------------
                        > >

                        > > ---------------------------------
                        > > Yahoo! Mail
                        > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                        > Secondary
                        school education Graduate
                        school education Home
                        school
                        education
                        Graduate school education
                        online High school
                        education Middle school
                        education

                        Service.

                        > ---------------------------------
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------
                        > Yahoo! Mail

                      • LaDonna Mangum
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                          I had the same problem with my whole group.  I discussed in my write up that since I teach in semesters I had only had this group of students for two weeks and that they were not accostomed to whole group discussions.  I have always heard the video is big but not as big as the write up.  Good Luck!

> [...]

                          thoughts, if
                          >   >  anyone wanted to.
                          >   >
                          >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                          yet
                          >   this
                          >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                          different
                          >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                          >   faster
                          >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                          velocity the
                          >   >  longer they drop.
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >                                                      Secondary
                          Graduate
                          >   school  education                                        Home
                          school

                          education

                          >            Graduate school education
                          > online                                        High school
                          >   education                                        Middle school

                          education

                          >   >
                          >   > ---------------------------------
                          >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                          >   >
                          >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                          >   >
                          >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                          of
                          >   Service.
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   > ---------------------------------
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   >
                          >   > ---------------------------------
                          >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                          >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                          >   >

                          >                                                         Secondary
                          school education                                          Graduate
                          school education                                          Home
                          school
                          education
                                        Graduate school education
                          online                                          High school
                          education                                          Middle school
                          education

                          Service.

                          > ---------------------------------
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------
                          >  Yahoo! Mail
                          >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                          " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

                          Yahoo! Mail

                        • shazrolane
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 4, 2006
                            > > Just out of curiosity, why are you having to redo #3?

                            I got some really good advice from a mentor in my county, to just
                            change the minerals in my mineral identification lab from before and
                            have the kids do the lab over. I gave them some questions to discuss
                            with each other and told them to be sure to ask each other those
                            questions when I came around with the camera. I chose a talkative
                            class, so while half of them clammed up, the other half did talk. One
                            group hammed it a up a bit, but I figure I'll just discuss that in my
                            write up
                          • Annette Holder
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                              I teach 9th grade and I had a student spend the day with me...one of those tech kids that know how to use a video camera.  He followed me around the room and taped me and the interactions with other students.  Sometimes I was in the background looking on..if that was the case...when I watched the tape and wrote up the stuff.  I commented about how student x did or did not understand the topic and how the next day I would discuss with them what was wrong.  I hope this helps.

                              Annette

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                                I think that is GREAT.  It shows you trying to reach all students and make science relevant to them etc...KUdos!!

                                Annette

> [...]

                                thoughts, if
                                >   >  anyone wanted to.
                                >   >
                                >   >  I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to do
                                yet
                                >   this
                                >   >  year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                                different
                                >   >  heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT drop
                                >   faster
                                >   >  than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in
                                velocity the
                                >   >  longer they drop.
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >                                                      Secondary
                                Graduate
                                >   school  education                                        Home
                                school

                                education

                                >            Graduate school education
                                > online                                        High school
                                >   education                                        Middle school

                                education

                                >   >
                                >   > ---------------------------------
                                >   >    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >     Visit your group "EASCI" on the web.
                                >   >
                                >   >     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                >   >
                                >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                                of
                                >   Service.
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   > ---------------------------------
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   > ---------------------------------
                                >   >  Yahoo! Mail
                                >   >  Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.
                                >   >

                                >                                                         Secondary
                                school education                                          Graduate
                                school education                                          Home
                                school
                                education
                                              Graduate school education
                                online                                          High school
                                education                                          Middle school
                                education

                                Service.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 5, 2006
                                  Thank you. I appreciate your help. I decided to go with it,
                                  partially because I don't have time to redo it. When I watched it
                                  again, there is a little student-to-student interaction, so I will
                                  just highlight that. It is a major improvement for this group since
                                  the beginning of the year, so I can talk about that in my
                                  reflection, too. Thanks again. Good luck to you!

                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > > each other and asking questions of each other. Does that
                                  > sound
                                  > > right
                                  > > > to everyone?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I already have my previous lab for Entry 3 written up (a
                                  > rough
                                  > > draft)
                                  > > > so I could post it or send it to someone to verify my
                                  > thoughts, if
                                  > > > anyone wanted to.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I was going to adapt a lab that I haven't had a chance to
                                  do
                                  > yet
                                  > > this
                                  > > > year, where I have the students drop rubber balls from 4
                                  > different
                                  > > > heights so they could learn that 1. larger things do NOT
                                  drop
                                  > > faster
                                  > > > than smaller things and 2. falling things increase in

                                  Secondary
                                  > > school education
                                  > Graduate
                                  > > school education Home
                                  > school

                                  education

                                  > > Graduate school education
                                  > > online High school
                                  > > education Middle school

                                  education

                                  > of
                                  > > Service.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > ---------------------------------
                                  > > >

                                  > > > ---------------------------------
                                  > > > Yahoo! Mail
                                  > > > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

                                  Secondary
                                  > school education Graduate
                                  > school education Home
                                  > school