Re: Entry 2 or 3

  • Kristi
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      First, I am so sorry for your loss.

      Though not for the same reasons, I had a late start as well, so I
      understand your time crunch. Unfortunately, the directions in the
      Introduction section titled "What Shapes the Early
      Adolescent/Science Portfolio" (second bullet) state, "The teaching
      that you feature in Entries 1-3 must come from different units,
      different lessons, and different points of time." In another
      section, but I can't remember which, it states that the different
      sections will be assessed by different people, but I wouldn't want
      to risk it.

      I don't know if what I am doing will work, but I took two weeks and
      taught a mini unit and used it for Entry 3. Our district adopted
      curriculum (this year) that has us teaching two major units, which
      we were told to teach as written for the first year, and that is
      pretty much it. My student teacher taught most of the first
      unit, and I am teaching the second, and possibly a short unit in the
      spring if time allows. The mini unit was the only way I could meet
      the requirements. Would that work for you?

      I hope this helps!

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Tammy Shelley <tammyshelley@...> wrote:

      > I know that I am much further behind than most of you... I had a
      late start due to my mother's illness and death......I have decided
      that this will definitely be at least a 2 year process for me!!

      > I have to do a final edit of entries 1 and 4.... but I guess I
      was saving the best for last (YUCK!)

      > I am getting ready to begin a unit on matter. I was thinking
      about using the intro discussion as entry 2 and/OR a lesson on
      measuring matter for entry 3.

      > My questions:
      > 1. May I use two different lessons from the same UNIT for
      entries 2 and 3?

      > 2. For Entry 3, I was thinking about students using water
      displacement to find the volume of irregular objects, find the mass
      and calculate the density and then record and discuss the data
      (hoping they will realize that even though the mass and volume of
      an object can change, the density will be the same.) Think it
      will work?

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006

        ;)Questions 1. " The teaching that you feature in Entries 1–3 must come
        from different units of instruction, different lessons, and
        different points in time."
        This is from the 2003 -2004 NBCT Portfolio Instruction book, pg 7 of
        284.

        Question 2.  Sounds good!
        The Science Teacher