Entry 2 or 3

  • Tammy Shelley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      I know that I am much further behind than most of you... I had a late start due to my mother's illness and death......I have decided that this will definitely be at least a 2 year process for me!!

      I have to do a final edit of entries 1 and 4.... but I guess I was saving the best for last (YUCK!)

      I am getting ready to begin a unit on matter.  I was thinking about using the intro discussion as entry 2 and/OR  a lesson on measuring matter for entry 3.

      My questions:
      1.  May I use two different lessons from the same UNIT for entries 2 and 3?

      2.  For Entry 3,  I was thinking about students using  water displacement to find the volume of irregular objects, find the mass and  calculate the density and then record and discuss the data (hoping they will realize that even though the mass and volume of an object  can change, the density will be the same.)   Think it will work?

      I am open to any ideas or suggestions..... I have learned a great deal from the posts!!!

    • Kristi
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        First, I am so sorry for your loss.

        Though not for the same reasons, I had a late start as well, so I
        understand your time crunch. Unfortunately, the directions in the
        Introduction section titled "What Shapes the Early
        Adolescent/Science Portfolio" (second bullet) state, "The teaching
        that you feature in Entries 1-3 must come from different units,
        different lessons, and different points of time." In another
        section, but I can't remember which, it states that the different
        sections will be assessed by different people, but I wouldn't want
        to risk it.

        I don't know if what I am doing will work, but I took two weeks and
        taught a mini unit and used it for Entry 3. Our district adopted
        curriculum (this year) that has us teaching two major units, which
        we were told to teach as written for the first year, and that is
        pretty much it. My student teacher taught most of the first
        unit, and I am teaching the second, and possibly a short unit in the
        spring if time allows. The mini unit was the only way I could meet
        the requirements. Would that work for you?

        I hope this helps!

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006

          ;)Questions 1. " The teaching that you feature in Entries 1–3 must come
          from different units of instruction, different lessons, and
          different points in time."
          This is from the 2003 -2004 NBCT Portfolio Instruction book, pg 7 of
          284.

          Question 2.  Sounds good!
          The Science Teacher