Entry 3

  • Kristi
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
      Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
      small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
      scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
      questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
      great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
      obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
      the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
      group about their data. What do you think?
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
        Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
        teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
        discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
        is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
        you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
        need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
        students should be learning and experiencing.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
          Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
          quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
          help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
          hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
          based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
          That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
          don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
          become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
          entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
          question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
          through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
          question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
          and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
          I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
          specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
          and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
          know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
          right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
              It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
              it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
              that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
              leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
              want to re-think the entry