Re: [EASCI] entry 3

  • LaDonna Mangum
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
      I think that sounds pretty neat and it would lead into a great lesson on the food chain and transfer of energy amoung organisms.

      Jeanne Elliott <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
      Me too!!   I don't really know what I want to do mine on.  I am thinking of having my students summarize what they found in an owl pellet.  I want them to conclude what the ecosystem of owls around the country are like and compare the regions based on their findings in their owl pellet.  Each pair of students will have a pellet from a region.  So they can use a bone chart to figure out what types of animals the owl ate, which will give them some insight to their food source and the environment (especially if the pellets contain any seeds).  They could even graph the types of bones and try to conclude how many animals the owl ate.  I know this will capture my students; I know that my students will draw conclusions about the regions.  I don't know if this is a good activity for taping.
      Any advice!!??!!
      Jeanne

      LaDonna Mangum <ladonnamangum@...> wrote:
      After reading entry 3 again I am not sure if the lab will even work.  Basically it is a lab that deals with the introduction of the inquiry process.  Studenst have to design an experiment around different types of salsa and as they work through the lab they gain a better idea of just how the inquiry process works.  But after further review I think they want me to actually pick a process in science, such as the rock cycle or other cycling of matter.  ARRGGHH I am so confused!

      Jeanne Elliott <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
      When writing last year, sometime I would site professional research that I used to support my writings.  I found a website on MLA citations and used that.  I don't think you have to site where you found your resources, because the goal is that you can find resources and strategies from a variety of places to meet the needs of your students.
      When filming for entry 3, I know the focus is on the conclusion of a lab and you want the students to do the discovery and find patterns in the data.  But are you concentrating on a lab that deals with data or are your findings qualitative?
      I find so many of my inquiries do not deal with descrete data.  Do you have any ideas.
      Jeanne

      ladonnamangum <ladonnamangum@...> wrote:
      I have a question concerning the use of a lab.  I have found a really
      good lab that I would like to use for my third entry.  I found this
      lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
      Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that in
      my entry?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

      Yahoo! Photos

      " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

      Yahoo! Photos
    • Donna Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 15, 2006
        The part of my video tape that I submited showed my students in small group.  My topic was chemical and physical changes and in my writing I tied it to the National Standard Properties of Matter.  I was asking the analytical questions about the results the students were getting.  I would asked the students to justify their findings which gave me great discussion between the students as well as what the students misconceptions were.  For example, many of my students (6th graders) thought if something had food coloring in it then it was a chemical change and not a physical change.

        I purposely chose the parts of the video that showed students arguing the differences between chem/phys changes and misconceptions.  I ended up not using the part of the whole group discussion in which we discussed the quantative data because I felt the small group interactions were the best part of my video.

        Don't give up, I think I video taped 5 different lessons/topics before I finally got one I liked.

        Just make sure that it is truly an inquiry lab.  If the question can be answered correctly before doing the lab then the lab is not worth doing.

        eliotmom2 <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
        Donna,
        What did you look for in your videotape.  Were you asking the
        students analytical questions in small group, were you having the
        students summarize whole group, were you connecting the inquiry to
        life?  What type of discussion were you concentrating on?  Did you
        concern yourself with quantitative data while looking for a lab?
        Jeanne
        -- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "dkaysmith" <dkaysmith@y...> wrote:

        > What would be you inquiry question for the students to experiment
        with?
        > When I did this entry I looked for labs that had a hypothsis
        > (question) that couldn't be answered before the students did the
        lab.
        > I had the groups make predicitions about what they thought would
        > happen during the lab and we recorded them on chart paper. I then
        set
        > my students up into small groups and as they were performing the
        lab,
        > I would go to each group(4 to 5 students in a group I found their
        > be more discussion with the larger groups) and ask probing
        questions
        > about what results they were getting. I would refer back to their
        > predicitions and ask them analyzing questions about their results.
        >
        > I think (personal opinion)if you find a lab that has a good
        inquiry
        > question, then this entry will begin to flow easier for you.  I
        don't
        > know what grade level you teach or the topics you teach, but I
        hope
        > I've helped a little.
        >
        > Donna Smith
        > NBCT 2005
        >

        > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "ladonnamangum" <ladonnamangum@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a question concerning the use of a lab.  I have found a
        > really
        > > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry.  I found
        this
        > > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this
        lab?
        > > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do
        that
        > in
        > > my entry?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        Yahoo! Photos

      • tsunamiscience
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
          >Although the salsa lab sounds creative and unique, I'm not sure that
          middle school students would get any true "data" out of it. I know
          that my kids would be into "which is the hottest" to me that would be
          all opinion and not scientific data. Try to come up with something
          with numbers. Middle school students can easily discuss
          numbers.....there are other "comsumer labs" based on current TV ads
          that the kids would get into.....madge in FL NBCT 2003
        • Peg Brody
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
            I agree. I used the scientific method. Create a lab in which you did not
            isolate the variables. Have each group complete the lab and then record as
            a class their data. During discussion, note that the data is different for
            each group and why? Lead the discussion to how to control variables and
            then allow the students to develop own lab to test their ideas. (Inquiry)
            Peggy
          • Jeanne Elliott
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
              Thanks, Donna!  I'm not giving up just looking to do my best.  This is my 2nd year in and I REALLY won't to do this professionally and for me.
              I appreciate your opinion.
              Jeanne