Re: entry 3

  • dkaysmith
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
      What would be you inquiry question for the students to experiment with?
      When I did this entry I looked for labs that had a hypothsis
      (question) that couldn't be answered before the students did the lab.
      I had the groups make predicitions about what they thought would
      happen during the lab and we recorded them on chart paper. I then set
      my students up into small groups and as they were performing the lab,
      I would go to each group(4 to 5 students in a group I found their to
      be more discussion with the larger groups) and ask probing questions
      about what results they were getting. I would refer back to their
      predicitions and ask them analyzing questions about their results.

      I think (personal opinion)if you find a lab that has a good inquiry
      question, then this entry will begin to flow easier for you. I don't
      know what grade level you teach or the topics you teach, but I hope
      I've helped a little.

      Donna Smith
      NBCT 2005

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "ladonnamangum" <ladonnamangum@y...>
      wrote:

      > I have a question concerning the use of a lab. I have found a
      really
      > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry. I found this
      > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
      > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that
      in
      > my entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    • dkaysmith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006

        wrote:

        > I have a question concerning the use of a lab. I have found a
        really
        > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry. I found this
        > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
        > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that
        in
        > my entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      • eliotmom2
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
          Donna,
          What did you look for in your videotape. Were you asking the
          students analytical questions in small group, were you having the
          students summarize whole group, were you connecting the inquiry to
          life? What type of discussion were you concentrating on? Did you
          concern yourself with quantitative data while looking for a lab?
          Jeanne
          -- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "dkaysmith" <dkaysmith@y...> wrote:

          > What would be you inquiry question for the students to experiment
          with?
          > When I did this entry I looked for labs that had a hypothsis
          > (question) that couldn't be answered before the students did the
          lab.
          > I had the groups make predicitions about what they thought would
          > happen during the lab and we recorded them on chart paper. I then
          set
          > my students up into small groups and as they were performing the
          lab,
          > I would go to each group(4 to 5 students in a group I found their
          > be more discussion with the larger groups) and ask probing
          questions
          > about what results they were getting. I would refer back to their
          > predicitions and ask them analyzing questions about their results.
          >
          > I think (personal opinion)if you find a lab that has a good
          inquiry
          > question, then this entry will begin to flow easier for you. I
          don't
          > know what grade level you teach or the topics you teach, but I
          hope
          > I've helped a little.
          >
          > Donna Smith
          > NBCT 2005
          >

          > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "ladonnamangum" <ladonnamangum@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a question concerning the use of a lab. I have found a
          > really
          > > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry. I found
          this
          > > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this
          lab?
          > > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do
          that
          > in
          > > my entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        • tsunamiscience
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
            My advice for entry 3 is
            1. Make sure that it is an inquiry lab and not a "cookbook" lab. Of
            course you guide them along.
            2. The video tape is about the discussion of data collected. My sixth
            graders do a better job discussing numbers than generalities.
            3. Remember you are a facilitator. The video should be the student's
            discussing with you walking around to each group guiding the discussion.
            4. Perhaps they could prepare a data table, paragraph, visual to
            assist them in the discussion.
            Hope this helps-- Madge in FL NBCT EA/Sci 2003
          • LaDonna Mangum
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
              the lab I found had students understand the scientific method througth inquiry.  They had to create a lab with different types of salsa.  They had to come up with what they would research and what type of information they would gather.  This lab comes at the end of basic notes on the scientific method.  The lab was designed to further their understanding of how the scientific method works.  Does this make sense?  Thanks!

              eliotmom2 <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
              Donna,
              What did you look for in your videotape.  Were you asking the
              students analytical questions in small group, were you having the
              students summarize whole group, were you connecting the inquiry to
              life?  What type of discussion were you concentrating on?  Did you
              concern yourself with quantitative data while looking for a lab?
              Jeanne
              -- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "dkaysmith" <dkaysmith@y...> wrote:

              > What would be you inquiry question for the students to experiment
              with?
              > When I did this entry I looked for labs that had a hypothsis
              > (question) that couldn't be answered before the students did the
              lab.
              > I had the groups make predicitions about what they thought would
              > happen during the lab and we recorded them on chart paper. I then
              set
              > my students up into small groups and as they were performing the
              lab,
              > I would go to each group(4 to 5 students in a group I found their
              > be more discussion with the larger groups) and ask probing
              questions
              > about what results they were getting. I would refer back to their
              > predicitions and ask them analyzing questions about their results.
              >
              > I think (personal opinion)if you find a lab that has a good
              inquiry
              > question, then this entry will begin to flow easier for you.  I
              don't
              > know what grade level you teach or the topics you teach, but I
              hope
              > I've helped a little.
              >
              > Donna Smith
              > NBCT 2005
              >

              > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "ladonnamangum" <ladonnamangum@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a question concerning the use of a lab.  I have found a
              > really
              > > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry.  I found
              this
              > > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this
              lab?
              > > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do
              that
              > in
              > > my entry?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

              " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

              Yahoo! Photos
            • LaDonna Mangum
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
                I think that sounds pretty neat and it would lead into a great lesson on the food chain and transfer of energy amoung organisms.

                Jeanne Elliott <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
                Me too!!   I don't really know what I want to do mine on.  I am thinking of having my students summarize what they found in an owl pellet.  I want them to conclude what the ecosystem of owls around the country are like and compare the regions based on their findings in their owl pellet.  Each pair of students will have a pellet from a region.  So they can use a bone chart to figure out what types of animals the owl ate, which will give them some insight to their food source and the environment (especially if the pellets contain any seeds).  They could even graph the types of bones and try to conclude how many animals the owl ate.  I know this will capture my students; I know that my students will draw conclusions about the regions.  I don't know if this is a good activity for taping.
                Any advice!!??!!
                Jeanne

                LaDonna Mangum <ladonnamangum@...> wrote:
                After reading entry 3 again I am not sure if the lab will even work.  Basically it is a lab that deals with the introduction of the inquiry process.  Studenst have to design an experiment around different types of salsa and as they work through the lab they gain a better idea of just how the inquiry process works.  But after further review I think they want me to actually pick a process in science, such as the rock cycle or other cycling of matter.  ARRGGHH I am so confused!

                Jeanne Elliott <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
                When writing last year, sometime I would site professional research that I used to support my writings.  I found a website on MLA citations and used that.  I don't think you have to site where you found your resources, because the goal is that you can find resources and strategies from a variety of places to meet the needs of your students.
                When filming for entry 3, I know the focus is on the conclusion of a lab and you want the students to do the discovery and find patterns in the data.  But are you concentrating on a lab that deals with data or are your findings qualitative?
                I find so many of my inquiries do not deal with descrete data.  Do you have any ideas.
                Jeanne

                ladonnamangum <ladonnamangum@...> wrote:
                I have a question concerning the use of a lab.  I have found a really
                good lab that I would like to use for my third entry.  I found this
                lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
                Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that in
                my entry?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

                " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

                Yahoo! Photos

                " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

                Yahoo! Photos
              • Donna Smith
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 15, 2006
                  The part of my video tape that I submited showed my students in small group.  My topic was chemical and physical changes and in my writing I tied it to the National Standard Properties of Matter.  I was asking the analytical questions about the results the students were getting.  I would asked the students to justify their findings which gave me great discussion between the students as well as what the students misconceptions were.  For example, many of my students (6th graders) thought if something had food coloring in it then it was a chemical change and not a physical change.

                  I purposely chose the parts of the video that showed students arguing the differences between chem/phys changes and misconceptions.  I ended up not using the part of the whole group discussion in which we discussed the quantative data because I felt the small group interactions were the best part of my video.

                  Don't give up, I think I video taped 5 different lessons/topics before I finally got one I liked.

                  Just make sure that it is truly an inquiry lab.  If the question can be answered correctly before doing the lab then the lab is not worth doing.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
                    >Although the salsa lab sounds creative and unique, I'm not sure that
                    middle school students would get any true "data" out of it. I know
                    that my kids would be into "which is the hottest" to me that would be
                    all opinion and not scientific data. Try to come up with something
                    with numbers. Middle school students can easily discuss
                    numbers.....there are other "comsumer labs" based on current TV ads
                    that the kids would get into.....madge in FL NBCT 2003
                  • Peg Brody
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
                      I agree. I used the scientific method. Create a lab in which you did not
                      isolate the variables. Have each group complete the lab and then record as
                      a class their data. During discussion, note that the data is different for
                      each group and why? Lead the discussion to how to control variables and
                      then allow the students to develop own lab to test their ideas. (Inquiry)
                      Peggy
                    • Jeanne Elliott
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
                        Thanks, Donna!  I'm not giving up just looking to do my best.  This is my 2nd year in and I REALLY won't to do this professionally and for me.
                        I appreciate your opinion.
                        Jeanne