Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 55

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2000
      I like the index cards idea. Another teacher suggested having different colored folders for each area, with typed sheets outlining each topic. But index cards could be rearranged as needed.
      Keep the ideas coming!
      Mary Jo in MO

      <<< <EASCI@egroups.com> 4/25 5:10a >>>
      Get the gang back together! With 4.4 million alumni already
      registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll find them
      here. Find your friends-again:
      http://click.egroups.com/1/3141/0/_/527038/_/956657346/

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Suggestions for AC?
      From: Anthony Cody <codypren@...>
      2. Re: Suggestions for AC?
      From: nankwh@...
      3. Re: Suggestions for AC?
      From: Anthony Cody <codypren@...>
      4. Re: Suggestions for AC?
      From: v1945@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:24:20 -0700
      From: Anthony Cody <codypren@...>
      Subject: Re: Suggestions for AC?

      >Does anyone have any suggestions what to study or take notes on for
      >AC?
      >Good luck to all!

      We can use al the handwritten index cards we create, right? I bought a
      little box to hold them, and a set of alphabetical dividers. I am working
      my way through a physical science text, taking notes on the cards as I go.
      I have about ten cards on Atoms and the Periodic Table, and a few on Gas
      Laws. I will do the same with Biology and Earth Science. They could ask us
      almost anything, so it is best to prepare for everything.

      Anthony Cody
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren/CSEZ_Home.htm

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:47:01 EDT
      From: nankwh@...

      I teach physical science (chemistry and physics) to 8th graders and have
      done life science and biology. I should have, but did not, study for the AC
      other than to type out summaries of the standards that were being included in
      the AC exercises. I read each one (the long version) and condensed and typed
      at the same time. This helped cement them in my mind and gave me practice
      typing. My scores were resonable, but I wish I had done better.
      I feel that my many years of experience were helpful because i have an
      extensive "bag of tricks". I have suggested that candidates who feel the
      need to work on a particular area start by looking over the national
      standards for that area, and then use a variety of texts to see activities
      and read chapter summaries that cover these standards.
      The work samples given in the exercises were very appropriate for the age
      group and my experience with midddle school students. The grammar, spelling,
      and sentence structure was very good though.
      Nancy Hosie
      NBCT 99 EA/SCI

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:36:20 -0700
      From: Anthony Cody <codypren@...>

      I have a question regarding the Assessment Center. I went to the web site
      in Iowa where they have posted previous years' versions of the tests. I saw
      the test for the EA Science and the test for AYA Science, and the two were
      the same! Is this correct? Is there a difference in the level of difficulty
      or scope between AYA Science and EA Science?

      Thanks!

      (For those of you who have yet to visit the Iowa site, here is how:

      Iowa has an Assessment Simulation to help you prepare for the test.
      Assessment center simulation: All areas are available with retired test.
      Here are the directions.

      The directions are as follows. http://www.uni.edu/webct

      Click on

      "Current Course Listings at UNI"

      "College of Education" Then scroll down right column to bottom.

      " i" icon (at the bottom or close to it) to create user name and
      password.

      Next screen fill in the fields they ask for. Login ID should be your
      candidate number. You can select your own password.

      You should get a screen telling you that your account has been
      successfully created. Now select "Go to home page".

      You can access five times with one name. After that you have to
      enter a new name.

      Anthony Cody
      For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
      Cody's Science Education Zone at
      http://ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren/CSEZ_Home.htm

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:27:05 EDT
      From: v1945@...

      Thank you for suggestions!! They sound on right track. I better start soon!
      Vicki Kraner
      EASCI candidate 2000 (WISHFUL THINKING!)

    • Sybil F. Landreth
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2000
        Hi!

        Several of us are using colored paper - one color per entry and the matching
        pocket folders. I asked NBPTS about folders with brads but they never
        directly answered my question. They like to be vague and avoid clarity. I am
        pretty disgusted with them.
        Sybil

        ===== Original Message From EASCI@egroups.com =====

      • Don Deresz
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2000
          I too, saw that Iowa Assessment "help" site. You have confirmed my
          suspicions that somebody there goofed as their EA items certainly don't
          reflect the EA Science NB assessment exercises that I experienced last year.
          What they have at that site is not a help but a curve ball.

          Don Deresz

> [...]
          >
          > Next screen fill in the fields they ask for. Login ID should be
          your
          > candidate number. You can select your own password.
          >
          > You should get a screen telling you that your account has been
          > successfully created. Now select "Go to home page".
          >
          > You can access five times with one name. After that you have to
          > enter a new name.
          >

          > Anthony Cody
          > For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
          > Cody's Science Education Zone at
          > http://ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren/CSEZ_Home.htm

          > Message: 4
          > Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:27:05 EDT
          > From: v1945@...
          > Subject: Re: Suggestions for AC?
          >
          > Thank you for suggestions!! They sound on right track. I better start
          soon!
          > Vicki Kraner
          > EASCI candidate 2000 (WISHFUL THINKING!)

        • Tom Burkett
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2000
            I logged on to the Iowa site, got a password OK, but nothing would come up
            when I attempted to link to the practice test or any of the other links on
            that page. Any suggestions? ('Though maybe I don't want to go there
            anyway . . .)

            Tom Burkett
          • sybil landreth
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25, 2000
              Don Deresz wrote:

              > I too, saw that Iowa Assessment "help" site. You have confirmed my
              > suspicions that somebody there goofed as their EA items certainly don't
              > reflect the EA Science NB assessment exercises that I experienced last year.
              > What they have at that site is not a help but a curve ball.
              >
              > Don Deresz

              Any suggestions without compromising.........?
              Just tell me the sorts of things I need to compile to take to the
              center. Do I need formulas, several lesson plans that show patterns in
              the 3 branches, a list of misconceptions - ???????????? Please don't
              say the standards. I assessed last summer. There is a whole lot more to
              the process than that set of standards!!!!!! Thanks for any direction
              you can provide.

              Sybil